new source for Globe S1202512L-3M

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

new source for Globe S1202512L-3M

Post by Aleksi » Tue May 10, 2005 6:29 am

Hi guys,

a few months ago I was looking at the Compucase 120mm fan titled "F12B3LS". The finnish distributor's website had an image for it and the fan in the picture was a ball bearing medium speed Globe.

Sometime after this I stumbled upon the german website of Compucase and noticed they had 120 sleeve bearing fan titled "F12S3LS". I noticed it had the temperature sensor and after asking a few questions from SPCR members, I started to believe this was the Globe complemented by the north American SPCR users. (and the one becoming very hard to get hold of even in north America, not to mention europe)

This fan wasn't available in Finland (despite a promise from the distributor that they would get them for me... :roll: ) I started searching for them in german shops.One of the shops, www.highlight-pc.de and its kind owner Mr. Gunter Geisler confirmed that the fan's label indeed did say sleeve bearing. I ordered two of them and got my packet today. Below is picture of these fans, the Globe S1202512L-3M :D

The sticker on the side of the fans say "12-2004" so I'm guessing this means the production date? I tested both of them. The other had very small bearing noise, but the other was really good, basicly no bearing noise.

Now, as you might remember I've told about the german fellow who was trying to get his hands on some Yate Loons. We have talked about the Globes also and there is a really good chance of having these fans in his selection also. He's worked out a deal on some VERY cheap worldwide shipping, so this could mean that it would be even an option for north american users.

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Tue May 10, 2005 10:46 pm

That's really wicked awesome! Looking forward to when this vendor gets some stock in! :D

DrCR

PS
Friend of SPCR

Post by PS » Tue May 10, 2005 11:39 pm

uhhh... is this the only known source for these fans? I don't really know german, and I'm not really willing to pay overseas shipping... maybe I should stop being lazy and do a forum search for them... :\

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Wed May 11, 2005 2:14 am

My 2c on these fans. They are quiet.....second only to Yate Loon IMHO. But don't expect that sensor to work very well. The temperature curve is too high to be useful in most computers.

I bought two expecting to use them as a CPU variable-speed fan. Didn't work out......no matter where I placed the sensor, the fan speed only varied 100rpms or less. It takes almost 80C to max out this fan. At normal CPU usage/temps you in effect have a single speed fan.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed May 11, 2005 6:10 am

Bluefront wrote:My 2c on these fans. They are quiet.....second only to Yate Loon IMHO. But don't expect that sensor to work very well. The temperature curve is too high to be useful in most computers.

I bought two expecting to use them as a CPU variable-speed fan. Didn't work out......no matter where I placed the sensor, the fan speed only varied 100rpms or less. It takes almost 80C to max out this fan. At normal CPU usage/temps you in effect have a single speed fan.
I completely agree with Bluefront's post and would only add that the Globes also seem to vary in quality (bearing noise) much more than the Yate Loon/Nexus fans.

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Wed May 11, 2005 8:41 am

Okay, my 0,02€...

I agree with you guys on the sensor, it's pretty much useless. But as Bluefront posted earlier, when the sensor is removed they run at full speed. I plan to use them mainly as PSU / Case fans, as I don't have a 120mm heatsink :cry:

I really can't comment on the quality variation between samples, I have now three total, none of them cannot be considered below "good".

PS, I paid ~20€ in shipping to get these fans to Finland. The german fellow who's trying to organize the Yate Loons should be able to provide worldwide shipping at a good price, for example 4-5pcs 120mm fans => 6€. That's not too bad, is it :) I have the shipping prices here somewhere, I'll post them when the vendor has all things sorted out.

And please post your thoughts and possible interest in these fans also in this thread. If people show interest instead of just waiting for things to happen, that usually should result in lower prices :)

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Wed May 18, 2005 11:21 am

Hi guys,

the german vendor has Globes in stock! :D

few details to be sorted out, but the contact info will be posted here and also on the classifieds forum ASAP.

And yes, the Globes will have a SPCR discount also :)

remember: cheap WORLDWIDE shipping!

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed May 18, 2005 1:26 pm

Looks good.

I see they are very cheap as well 7.02Euro's each.

Regards Andy

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Wed May 18, 2005 9:28 pm

Hi Andy,

actually highlight-pc.de isn't the vendor I'm talking about, highlight-pc is just the shop where I ordered my "samples". :oops: Sorry for the confusion!

silencio_777
-- Vendor --

Post by silencio_777 » Sun May 22, 2005 5:54 am

Dear silencers,

I'm silencio_777 and start my first post in SPCR forum as vendor for silent items. Aleskis recommendation of the fans is a really good silent tip. I tested one unit and they are at 5V really really silent. I have 10 units to offer for SPCR users with discount of 1,09 EUR under my shop price. So 6,90 EUR I can make. I'm sorry for not to be the cheapest, but you will save money over the shipping costs.

Globe fan offer

Shipping info

To my person: I grow up to a silencer in the german forum for silenthardware (www.silenthardware.de/forum) as user since over one year. I'm there helpful active as user for newbies. My PC is still silent, so I work out my silent virus with the eBay offer to give everybody the chance to have a silent PC.

Feel free to contact me for questions, supply and demand

Best regards

silencio_777

Aleksi
Friend of SPCR

Post by Aleksi » Sun May 22, 2005 7:04 am

Hi George,

and WELCOME TO SPCR!!

As far as I know, the 10 Globes are a sample batch, to see how much demand there is for them. So if there's demand, there will be more Globes available. Just remember to note your a SPCR user when contacting Silencio_777.

I personally have really high hopes regarding this vendor. He has been extremely friendly from day one and has had a very positive attitude towards SPCR. Who knows, maybe he could become our very own "SPCR Vendor"? :D