Vantec Stealth 92mm
1750 RPM, 20 dBA
PC Power and Cooling Silencer 92mm
1600 RPM, 23 dBA
Papst 3412NGL
1950 RPM, 23dBA
Panaflo FBA09A12L1A
2100 RPM, 27dBA

I was hoping to get one that would start reliably at 5V. I love my 80mm Panaflos, but it seems like the 92mm Panaflo just isn't in the same noise league as the others. Does anyone have experience comparing these different fans at 5V? I'm wary of the Papsts since it seems like a crapshoot as to whether or not you get one with nasty clicking noise. I don't believe the stats on the Vantec at all. I haven't heard much about the Silencers.

Comments?

Red Dawn

Post by Red Dawn » Sun Oct 27, 2002 4:20 am

The vantec fan uses dual ball bearing, I'd stay clear of those... especially given their track record, they haven't exactly been known to be the quietest kid on the block.

I'm unsure about PC Power and Cooling since I've never used them, but they did make OK 80 mm. fans a while back if I'm not mistaken.
Your guess about papst is as good as mine... it could go real good, it could also go real bad.

I'd like to have the same kind of strive for quietness that manufacturers have when it comes to 80 mm. fans, but this time for 92 and 120 mm. fans as well. I feel I'm lacking a reference table for bigger fans, if someone could fill me in, I'd be very happy!

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Sun Oct 27, 2002 9:29 am

Vantec discovered if they slap the word "quiet" on their products, they will increase sales.

I also have experience with one 3412NGL - it sounded better than the fan it replaced in my Enermax PSU, but had quite a chattery clicking sound that annoyed me. I eventually decided to do without a 92mm fan altogether. See the Antec vs Papst thread for more info (although mostly 80mm info...)

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:23 am

The 92mm PCP&C Silencer fan is quiet but I don't believe it moves anywhere close to 27 CFM as specified. It's about on par with a Panaflo 80mm L. Forget the Vantec; it's actually a more powerful fan with internal circuitry to reduce voltage feed, that's all. No difference in bearings or anything. I am hoping some mfgs contacted for the UBC fan project will submit some more samples so get a chance to look at other fans.

Red Dawn

Post by Red Dawn » Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:37 am

Yes, I hope so too. This project you're working on Mike, it's going to be a damned good resource -- for all of us, I can't wait for the results! :)

Then, and only then we'll have a real reference table.

As I might build a computer for my brother sometime soon, all this will come in handy, I'll do things right from the start this time.

How are the noiseblocker fans coming along by the way?