It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Wind Noise From Grills: Caused By Intake or Exhaust??
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:35 am 

Just a quick question: the wind noise associated with stock chassis grills - is that from the intake fans or from exhaust fans (ie. wind blowing out of grill or being sucked in through the grill)?

I am looking into reducing fan speeds (either 5V/7V mod or fan controller) as I do not want to cut my chassis, and wondering which would be more effective to slow down.

Cheers,
X

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:07 pm 

Both, but mostly from exhaust.
Keep in mind that the fan grills negative impact on the airflow will be of more concern with a slow running fan.

Post subject: Re: Wind Noise From Grills: Caused By Intake or Exhaust??
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:42 pm 

i also wondering the exact same thing

i use noctua 120 pf fan on my norco 120mm fan blade and was expecting truly silent operation. instead i heard a noticeable woosh sound. the fan grill is on the intake. by switching the grill to be on the outtake/exhaust, does the woosh sound reduce? if it only takes 5 minutes to swap, i would do it no problem. thing is it takes hours to do so.

from what i read, it seems that the grill is better to be at outtake/exhaust. but i need confirmation(like scientific facts).

thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:46 am 
Friend of SPCR

I have these experiences:

PSU with SlipStream 1200rpm undervolted to approx 4-500 rpm. It pulled air through air vents on the bottom of the NZXT H2. Really annoying noise which disappeared when I flipped over the PSU which would then take air in from inside the case, i.e. with no air restriction.

Same fan setup as above as exhaust in NZXT H2. I can easily feel that much heat is trapped by the honeycomb metal in the rear fan position.

"SSD's: The difference between a casual jogger and a dog chasing a ball"

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:50 pm 

Tephras wrote:
Keep in mind that the fan grills negative impact on the airflow will be of more concern with a slow running fan.
With a slow running ran (low CFM) you may be concerned about losing CFM, but a grill will have less impact on CFM. The impact of the grill multiplies exponentially as the speed of the air increases. If all you have is a 300rpm fan giving a slight drift to the air, the fan grill is not likely to have much of an impact, if at all.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:49 am 

The worst is actually intake, at least when I tested. I creates some odd backdraft that you can really notice, even at lower voltage (3,5V) with all the elite fans.

I ended up not using a side in take but using the slot in the bottom of my case (Fractal 3000). That solved it.

Fractal 3000 | 2x Noctua NF-S12B FLX casefan (by mobo) front intake + back exhaust | 2x BeQuiet Silent Wing USC 140mm top exhaust @7V + side intake @3,5V | Seasonic X760 | Asus P8p67 Deluxe B3 | 8gb G-Skill Ripjaws | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 + Thermalright TY-140 | Intel i7 2600k (4.4 ghz) | 2 x Intel X25M 120gb SSD | KFA2 580GTX Anarchy 900/2050 + 2x Nexus Real Silent 120mm @7V | Samsung 2443BW |

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:58 pm 

If the grill is too close to the intake side of the fan it will make a lot of noise.

Without grills, you can often slow the fan even more, and still get decent temperatures.