Papst 120mm fan (the louder, higher CFM) power probs

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jimbobUK

Papst 120mm fan (the louder, higher CFM) power probs

Post by jimbobUK » Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:11 am

Hi there...

I've been waiting for stock of the quieter 120mm fan to come in at overclockers.co.uk for ages now. in the end i relented and went for the louder higher RPM version.. sorry can't remember the exact model name... its just arrived now.. looks mighty fine... and mighty intimidating.. the only problem is its tailed into a standard power connector that comes straight out of the PSU.. (the kind that goes into your hdds, and cd drives etc) .. these are all taken up on my system at the mo, no prob tho.. i assume this is becuase motherboard headers can't power the thing well enough (if at all) ... my problem is that i was rellying on my zalman fanmate to tame the beast down from its 38 db.. down to a more reasonable 20-26 ... obviously using a different connector i am now screwed... i was just wondering what my options were... there are just two wires connecting in the plug to the fan.. can I butcher a zalman fanmate and connect it in line off from the main PSU, or is that likely to blow.... what else is available.. cheap is good.. and I'd rather not have to build something to do it, i have no experience in that field and no equiipment....

My other question is that.. are all 120mm papst and panaflos using this large power connector or do the quieter slower RPM models come off the motherboard??

HELP.... anyways I'll be rigging it up tonight .. at full power.. now we'll see how well my SLK-800 wants to cool my XP 2100+ :)

I did try the original fan from the flower cooler on the SLK last night and got nice results.. it is slightly better than the flower cooler.. i was stable at 51 degrees stressed with CPU burn after 20 mins... pretty good...

Cheers

quokked

Re: Papst 120mm fan (the louder, higher CFM) power probs

Post by quokked » Wed Nov 27, 2002 3:01 am

jimbobUK wrote:louder higher RPM versioni was just wondering what my options were... there are just two wires connecting in the plug to the fan.. can I butcher a zalman fanmate and connect it in line off from the main PSU, or is that likely to blow.... what else is available.. cheap is good.. and I'd rather not have to build something to do it, i have no experience in that field and no equiipment....

My other question is that.. are all 120mm papst and panaflos using this large power connector or do the quieter slower RPM models come off the motherboard??

- u've got a few options but it depends on the rating of that fan u have
I had a look at the OCUK store that u were talking about and I say u should be okay the your fan seems to be the "Papst 4412FM 120mm Fan (4 pin) (FG-002-PA) " seems to be rated for 3.2W
u could butcher your zalman fan mate and put the molex connectors on it (The big plugs),..... another way is to use a rheostat inline with the device.
I'd have my doubts about running it off motherboard headers though

- I have a Thermaltake 120MM fan sitting here and it has 3 pin headers on it.. but everything I have and use usually get's 3 pin headers anyway cause I use a digidoc 5 :)

jimbobUK

Post by jimbobUK » Wed Nov 27, 2002 3:49 am

those digi doc's cost a fair bit of money tho don't they!?!?? and take up a 5.25" bay.. don't really have any spare.. i guess its kind of neat that you can alter the speed of fans easily.... although i guess they are supposed to work with heat readings mainly.... I dunno... will look into it....

but its the wattage of the fan thats important for the fanmate compatability... NOT the fact thats its coming off the main PSU which i imagine could kick out a load of power... i'm just worried about fire, and or fan failure burning a CPU...

quokked

Post by quokked » Wed Nov 27, 2002 5:22 pm

The zalman fan mate is rated for 6W if i remember correctly :)

Renod

Post by Renod » Wed Nov 27, 2002 5:59 pm

Why don't you just run it on 7V or 5V? Easy to make a molex for that: http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_ind ... apter.html. The quieter fans usually just run at a slower speed anyway.