Stop the Papst clickng?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Stop the Papst clickng?

Post by ez2remember » Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:00 pm

I have a read a lot in this forum, and a lot go on about the clicking in the papst fans. Has anyone tried to stop the clicking? Is it possible to modify the fan?

How about applying some grease to it, same as the grease you use to put in the bearings of you bike/cycle.

No harm in trying, if it causes a clicking sound.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Dec 02, 2002 12:40 pm

I've been told by a fan engineer that the clicking is caused by electronic circuitry, something like a too-small capacitor in the tiny PCB in the core of the fan. It's not actually mechanical, apparently. Will report more when I find out more. Maybe someone else here knows for sure?

crisspy
Friend of SPCR

Post by crisspy » Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:03 am

Maybe someone with a 'clickable' Pabst can answer a question here: If you stop the fan with your fingers, does it sit still for a moment before restarting? Does it give little 'kicks' to try to spin up? If so, are they at the same repeat rate as the infamous 'Pabst click'?

I fully expect that the Pabst clicking should be electrical. My first guess would be something to do with startup circuits accidently kicking in at low RPM's or voltages. Maybe putting in a bigger cap in the right spot would alter that behavior. If I ever come across one I'll be sure to fool with it on my bench and tell all. I did a (too long post) about fan motors a while back in Fans that are noisy, whining or clicking. It's not specifically about Pabst, but down near the end it gives some suggestions about strange low voltage electrically caused noise effects.