It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Fan Controller for Heatsink Fan
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:55 am 

I am just starting upgrading my PC and have bought a Zalman CPNS9500 Heatsink with 92mm HSF attached as standard.

I am wanting to replace the fanmate2 that Zalman bundle with the HS, but am a bit worried about what optoins I have. I have found out the 5.25 Zalman controller will control the HS fan, but am not sure which other fan controllers will handle a HSF ok.

I am fairly new to all this, and dont want to melt my CPU, by attaching a Fan controller to my heatsink fan which isnt meant to be attached. Can someone please give me some advice?

Is the Coolermaster AerogateII suitable, I am planning on purchasing the Antec P160 Casem and the aerogate2 will suit the case better than the blue perspex zalman controller (i think!).

Thankyou in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:17 am 
*Lifetime Patron*

Welcome to SPCR!!!

Any fan controller should be able to control Zalman fan on CNPS 9500. If that's the only fan you want to control, you may also use software e.g. Speedfan which can in fact control more than CPU fan depending on MB.

As for which fan controller to choose if you really want to have one, I strongly suggest you do some research on the various functions (or lacking) that each one offer before buying. So you can buy the one that suit you best - don't just go for the look alone. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:24 pm 

I have the Zalman controller, works well, but it's MANUAL! I use it for case and PSU fan only, CPU and VGA are controlled via the Mobo (i.e. settings in BIOS).

Speedfan is also good, although you have to be logged in for it to have control. So, if you log out automatically you might have no control of the fans.

The Aerogate II seems to work OK, but you can't control the fan curve in detail - it seems to sart at +25 C with 50% output, and the ramp to whatever set temperature you're using (e.g. +52 C). I have no exp. from this, and I'm not sure how to compensate temperature since you van't put a probe inside the CPU.

You will probably have some function in your BIOS as well.

All this said, any fan controller will control your CPU fan. Some of them will protect your CPU from overheating (Intel has internal throttling of clock when overheated, and my BIOS can shut down on a too hot CPU).

/ datapappan

[CPU: 2.4 GHz P4 Northwood w. AC Freezer 4 (fanless-Bluefront PSU mod inspired) / MB: ABIT VT7 (Via PT880) / GPU: ATI Radeon X800XL w Zalman ZM80D-HP / HDD: Seagate Barracuda IV SATA 80GB / CD: Samsung CD-DVD combo / Seahawk ALU Case / PSU: FSP 350-THN (fan mod-Everflow connected to CPU fan header)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:43 pm 

thanks for replies so far and the welcome ^^

I was intending to plug the HSF into my Asus P4C800-E deluxe mobo and into fan controller.

All I really want the fan controller to do, is to be able to manually adjust the HSF speed from a 5.25/3.5 bay controller as opposed to the little fanmate2 "remote-control". I am trying to silence my PC and also make it look tidy. If the Aerogate2 does the same job as the Fanmate2 then i will buy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:38 am 
*Lifetime Patron*

stubar wrote:
..I was intending to plug the HSF into my Asus P4C800-E deluxe mobo and into fan controller...

Here's a review of Aerogate 2. I hope you get a good price for it as this seems to be an older model (anything pc-related that is > 1 year is old anyway :wink: ).

Btw, have you tried connecting your HSF ->Fanmate2 ->MB header, then enable Asus Q-fan in bios. Between Fanmate2 and Q-fan you should be able to get to a low fan speed with some headroom at higher load (through auto-adjust function of Q-fan. Fanmate2 unit can be easily routed to outside at the back of case. :)