How do you use an 80mm fan in place of a 60mm fan?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Aquilegia

How do you use an 80mm fan in place of a 60mm fan?

Post by Aquilegia » Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:03 am

Hi folks,

It sure is nice to see so many Canadians represented! I've read a lot about using 80mm fans on heatsinks that came stock with a 60mm fan. Pardon my novice ignorance, but how do you accomplish this? I found some 60mm to 80mm Aluminum Fan Adapters at frozencpu.com, are those how you do it?

Thanks,
Aquilegia

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Jan 08, 2003 7:51 am

Yeah, that's how you do it. They're basically a funnel that bolts on top of the heatsink and the 80mm fan bolts on top of the adapter.

I've tried these and found them to be almost worthless. The funnel creates so much back pressure that you end up having to go to a relatively faster 80mm fan to offset the loss of airflow. By the time you get a powerful enought fan to cool sufficiently it's damn near as noisey as the original 60mm fan. THe only upside is that most 80mm fans are less "whiney" than most 60mm fans, so you'll have blade noise and air turbulence noise but at least you'll have less whine.

Aquilegia

Quieter 60mm fans available?

Post by Aquilegia » Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:29 am

By the time you get a powerful enought fan to cool sufficiently it's damn near as noisey as the original 60mm fan
If that's the case, are there quieter 60mm fans available? I noticed one by Verax, would this be better?

Thanks
Aquilegia

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Wed Jan 08, 2003 8:53 am

verax fans are quiet but they also are really weak, and quite expensive if i remeber correctly.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:19 am

Here's the simplest way to mount an 80mm fan on a smaller HS if the HS allows screws to be tapped straight into it from the top:

1) get a 80mm wire fan guard. They cost like maybe a buck.
2) mount it on the top of the HS.
3) mount the 80mm fan on the fan guard through the 4 mounting holes -- with small zap straps, long screws & nuts, whatever.

Another way to use an 80mm fan is to just find a way to "suspend" it over the HS the way Zalman does with fan brackets for their flower HS. I've used case PCI slot covers as "fan brackets" effectively. See the pictures in the P4 Silencing article in Mods&Projects.

Syphon869

Post by Syphon869 » Thu Jan 09, 2003 12:17 am

I use Twist Ties. :D

My Coolermaster heatsink has a plastic fan bracket...just put the twist-ties through the screwholes.