Are Panaflos really the best?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mercury

Are Panaflos really the best?

Post by Mercury » Fri Jan 24, 2003 7:37 am

http://www.silentpcreview.com/modules.p ... =25&page=1

I've just read this article and view the chart, and now I wonder why everyone is still saying that Panaflos are the BEST fans out there? According to this chart, a lot of fans are both more silent and more efficient then Panaflos. So I'm confuse...

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:43 am

The specs don't show you the complete picture. While you can see the noise level (think quantity) that each fan produces, you don't see the quality of noise that each produces. Any fan can be undervolted to produce roughly the same airflow and noise level (according to a noise meter).

How is this possible? Any fan of a given size and of a comparable cfm rating is going to be about the same noise-wise as another. How can this be possible? The manufacturers say so in their specs. Just go Marvin's site to see charts of how closely grouped the cfm/noise/rpm ratings are (and this is probably under different measurement standards for each manufacturer).

Since the fan noise level/quantity can (usually) be adjusted, it's really the quality of noise, its timbre, its colour that we're all concerned about. Bearing noise, noise caused by air turbulence with the fan blades and noise from the internal fan circuitry all contribute to the quality of the noise.

Panaflos are pretty good for this as you can see in the recommended fan list: http://www.silentpcreview.com/modules.p ... =63&page=1

Mercury

Post by Mercury » Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:26 pm

Sounds logical, tx for the well explained answer.

Gxcad
Patron of SPCR

Post by Gxcad » Tue Jan 28, 2003 12:42 am

Panaflos are the reference fan for a reason. Firstly they are very consistent in quality, they have low bearing noise and are fairly quiet at the default 12v, and consistently start at 5v at which point they are all but inaudible. Secondly they are easily available at least in the U.S., and can be had for as little as ~$3.50 per fan (thats what I sell em for anyway, and I don't know of anywhere that bests my price). Price combined with availability, quality, and quietness make this fan a no brainer to many.

-Ken

shunx

Post by shunx » Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:17 pm

Too bad it's hard for Canadians to get Panaflos for cheap... no one sells any locally here.