Zalman heatsink and fan (with hood)

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jamoore9
Friend of SPCR

Zalman heatsink and fan (with hood)

Post by jamoore9 » Thu Jan 30, 2003 6:51 am

I'm new to system building, but I decided that I wanted to build a decent gaming rig, that's quiet, for half of what a comparable noisy beast from Dell or Gateway would cost me. I've just discovered SilentPCReview and I'm in heaven, I think!

I'm trying to balance cooling and quiet. The loudest part of my box is the stock heatsink fan that came with my P4 2.4 Northwood. It sounds like a jet engine compared to my 5 Enermax remote-thermistor controlled fans (4 in the box at 1800 RPM, 1 in my Heroichi PSU at 2100)! So its got to go. I'm trying to decide what kind of HS and fan to get. Everybody here seems to recommend the Panaflo with a big Alpha or Switech HS. But I'm a little afraid of the geared down Panaflo not pushing enough air. Zalman makes a copper "flower" HS with a 2500 RPM fan that seems like its pretty quiet and keeps everything cool. Anybody ever use one of those? Does it heat up your PSU significantly? (I'm worried about that hoody-thing pushing hot air off my CPU and directly into my PSU, which will heat up and cause the fan to go berserk).
Last edited by jamoore9 on Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

MGP

Post by MGP » Thu Jan 30, 2003 8:44 am

hey jamoore9,

just wanted to let you know that the alpha p4 heatsink is an excellent pick for silence...much better than zalman p4 heatsink selection. also, don't worry about the panaflo L1A not being able to push enough air...it gets the job SAFELY done.

jamoore9
Friend of SPCR

Post by jamoore9 » Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:31 am

Does the alpha accomodate a 92mm fan?

Ginta

Post by Ginta » Mon Feb 03, 2003 9:14 pm

Both the Alpha for the P4 and Athlon use 80mm fans only. You can use a fan adapter to accommodate 90mm and 120mm fans if you have enough clearance around/above your cpu.

TheMuffinMan

Post by TheMuffinMan » Mon Feb 03, 2003 9:52 pm

You can point the hood at your exhaust fan, you know. I think that's what it's there for, actually.

If you were to get the Zalman flower 5XXX, I would recommend changing the fan anyway. The Zalmans make a considerable amount of noise.

Did you see the P4 Cooler Roundup?
http://www.silentpcreview.com/modules.p ... =57&page=1
It's very informative...