Yate Loon Sl, vs SM vs Scythe DF

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

psionic

Post by psionic » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:27 am

I assume you mean the Yate Loon DL12SL-12?

Both of these fans are amongst the best fans when undervolted because they have almost no bearing noise and are very well balanced to minimize vibration. However, in almost all cases, any 12cm fan over 900rpm is too loud for a very quiet PC.

If I had to pick 1 @ 12V, it would be the Scythe SFB 1200rpm since it spins slightly slower than the YL.

Just my 2 cents.

edlight1

Post by edlight1 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:25 am

I have the Yate Loon from Cooler Guys running horizontally in my power supply, on a soft gasket. It runs at 1250 at 12v very nicely, and can be slowed down on a Zalman fan controller smoothly. I have thin foam in my rig and can't hear it normally, but there's pretty high ambient noise.

psionic

Post by psionic » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:32 am

I think you find the Yate Loon D12SL-12 a little too loud at 12V. This is not necessarily a fault of the fan design itself, but rather its 12V speed of 1350rpm. This fan, once slowed down to < 1000rpm, is one of the smoothest, quietest and vibration-free fans ever made.

And Yes, I mean the Scythe S-Flex FDB Fan "E", rated at 1200rpm. This fan is also an amazing fan, but a little too loud at 12V, although slightly quieter than the YL because it spins a little slower.

If you want a fan that is absolutely silent at 12V, your best bet is probably the Scythe "D" model which spins at 800rpm.

xonium

Post by xonium » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:26 am

I would recommend a yate loon. Just use it at 5 or 7 volts or if you have a fan controller you can get the volt and rpm down and save alot of money because you can find yate loons for about $3-4 a piece.
Just check out this test, it's danish but you should get some info out of the tables. http://www.stillepc.dk/anmeldelser/fans ... up_120.htm

jimmyzaas

Re: Yate Loon Sl, vs SM vs Scythe DF

Post by jimmyzaas » Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:34 pm

teomilke wrote:Hi,

Im in Canada, so far ive found that these are the only 3 fans available this side of the border.

I'm trying to decide between the scythe df and yate loon 120sl.

I noticed the Yate Loon has a 1350rpm and 47cfm, while the scythe df has only 1200rpm and 45cfm. I was thinking since the scythe spins a bit more slowly, it would be quieter. Anyways, running at 12v, which fan is quieter and a better buy.

Also does anyone know how noisy the Yate Loon 12SM (medium 1600rpm)
Im wondering how much noise this makes, from a spcr point of view and from a normal persons point of view. If there isnt too much noise, it would be nice to have as its 70cfm rating could let me overclock a fair bit more. Buy the fundamental question is, is this fan quiet, At 12v, or lower.

Thanks !!
Where in toronto can you find Yate loon fans?? I'm really curious because I haven't seen a computer store that carry them.