Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

slippy

need help to replace my 92mm

Post by slippy » Sat Mar 01, 2003 7:50 pm

...92 mm case fan
right now i'm using a vantec stealth

it was ok when i first built my pc

but now that i have a zalman psu and a seagate barracuda iv, it's one of the loudest things in my case! (volcano 7 at low voltage via a hardcano 3 is right up there with it, going to replace too...)

what's a good 92mm case fan?
thanks

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Re: need help to replace my 92mm

Post by powergyoza » Sat Mar 01, 2003 7:59 pm

slippy wrote:...92 mm case fan
right now i'm using a vantec stealth

it was ok when i first built my pc

but now that i have a zalman psu and a seagate barracuda iv, it's one of the loudest things in my case! (volcano 7 at low voltage via a hardcano 3 is right up there with it, going to replace too...)

what's a good 92mm case fan?
thanks
Panaflo makes probably the best 92mm case fan. Before you go out to get one, I'd suggest you try to run your Vantec at a reduced voltage 1st. If it's a 3 pin and connected to your mobo, try fanspeed/speedfan. You can find it under the software section of "useful links".

You can also convert it to 4-pin with an off-the-shelf adaptor. DIY is always an alternative.

Once it's 4-pin, or if it's already 4-pin, you can simply just switch the pins around. Mike's article on undervolting fans is a good place to start. The 1st diagram will help you the most.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Mar 02, 2003 5:29 am

I got ten of those 39¢ 92mm NMBs from Directron and man, are they quiet at 7V! Quieter than my 92mm L1As at 7V, *but* they won't even start or run at 5V. They have two different fans available, the .28A version and the .58A version. You can't choose which ones they send you but all ten of mine are the .28A versions.
Last edited by Ralf Hutter on Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Sun Mar 02, 2003 10:36 am

The only thing wrong with the NMB fan is they are bare wired? How did it work out for you Ralf, I might buy 5-6.

crg

Post by crg » Sun Mar 02, 2003 2:03 pm

Ralf, which numbers are after the -04W? I found 5 different ones here:

http://www.nmbtc.com/pdf/dcfans/dc3610kl_v.pdf

slippy

Post by slippy » Sun Mar 02, 2003 6:02 pm

thanks powergyoza, i will try that software out

preferably i would like to use a 3-pin fan so i can connect it to the mobo (less wire mess)

edit - well looks like speedfan doesn't work with asus boards
so will have to look for a new fan
hmmm....or i could buy a rheobus

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:01 am

:oops: Oops, I mis-typed voltages in my post above. :oops:

12V should have been 7V, and 7V should have been 5V. I just corrected it. Sorry, my bad.

GamingGod wrote:The only thing wrong with the NMB fan is they are bare wired? How did it work out for you Ralf, I might buy 5-6.
They actually have a funny 4-pin connector on them. It looks like a 3/4 size version of a floppy power connector and the pin spacing is the same as a regular 3-pin connector. It will work on a regular 3-pin header but you have to break off a little tab and offset the connector by one pin. If you get them, you'll see what I'm talking about. I just cut off the connector and put a regular 4-pin Molex on them.

crg wrote:Ralf, which numbers are after the -04W? I found 5 different ones here:

http://www.nmbtc.com/pdf/dcfans/dc3610kl_v.pdf
The numbers after "-04W" are "B40"

slippy

Post by slippy » Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:28 pm

powergyoza wrote:Panaflo makes probably the best 92mm case fan.
the dB rating on the panaflo that i found was 27dB http://www.directron.com/92l1a.html

but the vantec is 20 dB! http://www.directron.com/sf9225l.html

and the panaflo is still betteR?

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Mon Mar 03, 2003 10:43 pm

slippy wrote:
powergyoza wrote:Panaflo makes probably the best 92mm case fan.
the dB rating on the panaflo that i found was 27dB http://www.directron.com/92l1a.html

but the vantec is 20 dB! http://www.directron.com/sf9225l.html

and the panaflo is still betteR?
From what I heard from a 80mm Stealth, most likely yes, a Panaflo is still better. Even if we assume that the 2 fans are measured under the same conditions (not likely), we need to take into account the quality of the sound. See a previous post I made: http://forums.silentpcreview.com//viewt ... =7653#7653. From what I heard, the stealths are not as good. jinu117 might disagree with me though (see his comparison).

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Mar 04, 2003 1:28 am

Wading in... the 80mm Vantec at 12V sounds louder & moves more air than a Panaflo 80L. I prefer the Panaflo at lower voltages to, but I have heards others who complain that their Panaflos hum/buzz at low voltages. This could well be a case of sample/production batch variations. I've gone through dozens and found very few veered from the norm. But the Vantec 80 is an OK quiet fan, IMO.

The 92mm Vantec is a whole nuther story. My samples buzz at ANY speed, they are amazingly annoying. I would put that in my enemy's "quiet" case. :twisted:

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:27 pm

Hey ralf, how was the shipping on those .39 nmb fans? Its not like with the cd clubs where I pay .39 for the fan and then they charge me $5 each on shipping them here is it? I figure for .39 even if they didnt work I could make a duct with them or use them for spacers or something.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Mar 05, 2003 5:29 am

GamingGod wrote:Hey ralf, how was the shipping on those .39 nmb fans? Its not like with the cd clubs where I pay .39 for the fan and then they charge me $5 each on shipping them here is it? I figure for .39 even if they didnt work I could make a duct with them or use them for spacers or something.
I don't remember how much it was, but I also ordered other stuff at the same time. That's the best way to keep your shipping costs down and easy to do at Directron because they have so much stuff. My guess is that their's alway going to be a minimum shipping charge of around $4-5 no matter what you order.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:34 am

Ok I was gonna order several things from them anyways. I was just worried that there was a catch. If not im gonna buy 5-6 of those fans just so I can see what it feels like to be a big balla.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:54 am

GamingGod wrote:Ok I was gonna order several things from them anyways. I was just worried that there was a catch. If not im gonna buy 5-6 of those fans just so I can see what it feels like to be a big balla.
You might want to hold off for right now. Apparently these may be counterfit NMB fans. There's a guy over at Ars that's going back and forth with Directron about this. The labels on the Directron NMBs look nothing like a normal NMB label so he asked them about it. When Directron found out they immediately asked him to send them back. My labels are the same as his so maybe all of the 39¢ NMBs are counterfit. That's all I know so far. Stay tuned for further news bulletins, sports and weather.

BriceB

Post by BriceB » Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:55 am

Ralf Hutter wrote: Apparently
Hey, if you said they're still quietter... then it sounds like a good thing to me ;)

Brice

slippy

Post by slippy » Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:39 pm

MikeC wrote:But the Vantec 80 is an OK quiet fan, IMO.

The 92mm Vantec is a whole nuther story. My samples buzz at ANY speed, they are amazingly annoying. I would put that in my enemy's "quiet" case. :twisted:
i agree

right now i have a 80mm vantec running at 5v via the zalman multiconnector and it's silent, although not much air is being moved

my 92mm also buzzes. it's at 12v. i don't mind fans that just have the "air-moving" noise, i just don't like the buzz. so i think a 92mm panaflo low at 12v will suit me fine. :)

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:47 am

BriceB wrote:
Ralf Hutter wrote: Apparently
Hey, if you said they're still quietter... then it sounds like a good thing to me ;)

Brice
Yeah, it's just kind of a pisser that they may not be real NMBs, but what do you want for 39¢!

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:48 am

So its a .39 92mm fan that pushes decent air and is silent at 7v? That doesnt seem that bad to me, I might buy a few and 7v them and see if I can use them, if I cant then im only out $1-2.

aristide1

Post by aristide1 » Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:51 pm

*but* they won't even start or run at 5V
I'm curious as to why there doesn't seem to be much interest in wiring 2 identical fans in series for 6 volts each.

Link to other cheap fans, 5V, 12V, 24V

http://sales.goldmine-elec.com/catlist.asp?catid=2079