5 volt cpu fan?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tsuraan

5 volt cpu fan?

Post by tsuraan » Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:28 pm

I'm planning on replacing the heatsink on my computer (AMD xp series) with something that will allow the computer to run a bit more quietly, and I had noticed on this site that running a fan at 5 volts generally seems to be sufficient, and silent. I was wondering how one normally does this, since an AMD motherboard won't boot without something plugged in to the cpu fan port, which (IIRC) is a 12 volt source. Do people just use a resistor to slow down the fan, or is there a more elegant approach?

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Sun Mar 02, 2003 10:23 pm

welcome tsuraan,

AFAIK, most mobo's allow you to disable that safety setting in the BIOS. So you should be able to safely run your CPU fan off a 4 pin connector.

If this is not possible, then something like a Zalman Fanmate or an equivalent DIY solution (rheostat) should do the trick.

tsuraan

Post by tsuraan » Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:19 am

Thanks for the tips. I'll check out the BIOS setting.

silencer

Use a "3-pin to 4-pin Adapter w/ RPM Monitoring"

Post by silencer » Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:14 am

I'd think one of http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/cab-09.html would be ideal, the monitoring signal is still going to go to the motherboard and you can move the pins in the molex around to get either 5, 7 or 12v. Just don't use the passthrough connector for anything else, in fact, cut it off to prevent accidents. For the heatsink, I'd get the Thermalright SLK800, the SLK900 if it fits or possibly the new Thermaltake Volcano 11 (which already has fan speed control). Those are only my ideas though, sure you can find plenty of heatsink recommendations around here.