HELP!!! CANT GET HEAT SINK OFF!

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Jmissiaen

HELP!!! CANT GET HEAT SINK OFF!

Post by Jmissiaen » Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:19 am

I am replacing my CPU heatsink and fan but i cant get the old one off!!!
It's a cheap one that came with the computer..it has a metal strap that holds it on and on one side of the strap there is a spot that looks like you put a screwdriver or something in to pry it of. I tried pressing on the strap and nothing happend so i tried prying on it and still nothing...any pointers? I am getting mad now so please help.
thanks,
Jordan :? :?

irvingbao

Post by irvingbao » Mon Mar 17, 2003 1:45 pm

Did you press the strap down and then move it out (unhook the strap)while it's pressed down?

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Mon Mar 17, 2003 1:54 pm

Yes, make sure you put solid pressure, not only DOWN, but outward from the CPU. Be CAREFUL, since a screwdriver slip can hose your motherboard. Put some cardboard down where you are prying to protect the board. Also, try to use a small enough screwdriver that will fit inside the clip you are pushing on, to reduce the slip factor. Also, once side of the CPU clip is easier to remove that the other, so try both sides.

Good luck

-Mike

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:43 pm

HS clips can be pretty tight, so don't be alarmed if you really do have to apply a bit of force. Press down on the clip and pull outwards, put some muscles in it and I am sure it will come out. Once one side of the clip is off,the lugs, then the rest is easy. :D

Jmissiaen

Thanks

Post by Jmissiaen » Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:52 pm

:D :D With a little (actually a lot) of brute force i managed to get the heatsink off...thanks for the help :)