40mm fan for Firewire case

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

snaimpally

40mm fan for Firewire case

Post by snaimpally » Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:14 am

Haven't seen much discussion on external cases such as firewire or USB 2. I got a case and mounted my DVD burner in it so I can move it around to back up my 3 PCs (no they are no yet networked - thats next).

The 40mm fan in the external case is annoyingly loud. I ordered a new from Mouser.

Any recomendations for external cases (for 5.25" devices) or 40mm fans?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Mar 23, 2003 7:02 am

I've been through this with HDD mobile racks. They all have 40mm cooling fans on them and they're far and away the loudest fans in my case. I've bought buttloads of 40mm fans from all over the planet to see if I could end up with a decent performing (I use the HDD temp as a gauge of how well the fan is doing it's job) but somewhat quiet fan. The best I've found so far are the 40mm x 20mm (they're "double-thick") Sunon KD1204PKB1 running at 7 volts. I got mine from KDComputers.com. If you don't have room for a 20mm thick fan (10mm is standard for 40mm fans) the Sunon KD1204PFB1 from 2Cooltek.com is quieter than most of the cheapy 40mms.

I've ordered those Mouser 40mms but they're not here yet so I can't comment on them.

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Re: 40mm fan for Firewire case

Post by ez2remember » Sun Mar 23, 2003 9:38 am

snaimpally wrote:Haven't seen much discussion on external cases such as firewire or USB 2. I got a case and mounted my DVD burner in it so I can move it around to back up my 3 PCs (no they are no yet networked - thats next).

The 40mm fan in the external case is annoyingly loud. I ordered a new from Mouser.

Any recomendations for external cases (for 5.25" devices) or 40mm fans?
If it's a external enclosure and you are only putting in a optical drive, there is no need for a fan at all. Some external enclosures include a fan because they also accomadate hard drives. So if don't use one, just remove the noisy fan. :D

snaimpally

40mm fan

Post by snaimpally » Sun Mar 23, 2003 8:28 pm

The size of the enclosure dictates a 40x10mm fan. I'll measure again but I don't think I can squeeze a fatter fan in.

I have contemplated unplugging the fan since it is an optical drive not a hard drive - just been too chicken to do it!

If the Mouser fan doesn't do it I will try unplugging it.

al bundy

Re: 40mm fan for Firewire case

Post by al bundy » Mon Mar 24, 2003 1:38 am

ez2remember wrote:If it's a external enclosure and you are only putting in a optical drive, there is no need for a fan at all. Some external enclosures include a fan because they also accomadate hard drives. So if don't use one, just remove the noisy fan. :D
I agree. Just unplug the fan.

8)