Panaflo fans

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

BCMoney

Panaflo fans

Post by BCMoney » Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:19 am

I'm looking around for panaflo case fans. I found a good site in Canada to buy from so I'm all set. They sell 120mm panaflo L1A's rated at 30 dB's, 92mm L1A's rated at 27 dB's and 80 mm L1A's rated at 21 dB's. If i used a Zalman fanmate and slowed them all down, would the 80 mm actually be the quietest? I was under the impression that bigger fans were quieter.

crisspy
Friend of SPCR

Post by crisspy » Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:12 am

Where did you find them? I need some more panaflos and don't like the prospect of ordering stateside again. Links pretty please?

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Re: Panaflo fans

Post by ez2remember » Thu Apr 03, 2003 3:03 am

BCMoney wrote:I'm looking around for panaflo case fans. I found a good site in Canada to buy from so I'm all set. They sell 120mm panaflo L1A's rated at 30 dB's, 92mm L1A's rated at 27 dB's and 80 mm L1A's rated at 21 dB's. If i used a Zalman fanmate and slowed them all down, would the 80 mm actually be the quietest? I was under the impression that bigger fans were quieter.
In one word, yes! Regardless what people say the 80mm Panaflo is the quetest in it's range. A 120mm fan will shift more air and hence may require less fans to shift the same amount of air. But that is besides the point, one for one the 80mm wins hands down. If Panasonic quotes their own fans at different dBA levels, why not trust them? We might not agree with the method they attained the noise level, but they are likely to use the same technique to measure the noise level of all their fans. Why would they lie about thier own stats on varying fans? :D

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Apr 03, 2003 5:42 am

It's not just about pure dBA numbers. Different fans can sound different (more or less objectionable) even though they measure the exact same dbA.
In my experience, larger size fans tend to sound less objectionable than smaller size fans.

In particular, the 120mm L1A running at 5V has about the same amount of electrical/mechanical noise as an 80mm L1A @ 5V and a little more air ("Whoosh") noise than an 80mm L1A @ 5V. That's not a suprise though, because the 120mm @ 5V is moving more air than an 80mm @ 5V. That's why you'd be using a 120mm fan.

j3fan
-- Vendor --

Post by j3fan » Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:38 pm

crisspy wrote:Where did you find them? I need some more panaflos and don't like the prospect of ordering stateside again. Links pretty please?
I have some panaflo fans available for sale. PM if you are still interested. And I live in Canada.

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:53 pm

You might have already checked, but I posted a bunch of Canadian retailers for Panaflo's in the Classifieds...