80mm fan with linear speed control?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

80mm fan with linear speed control?

Post by Bluefront » Thu Apr 03, 2003 3:27 am

Is there such a thing? Right now I'm using a PCToys CrystalMaxx 80mm fan for my cpu cooling. The speed goes up in steps....I'd like the speed to go up in a linear(I hope that's the correct term) manner. As the heat at the sensor rises, the speed would increase gradually.

I think that would result in a better temperature control....maybe even result in less noise. Who knows? Anybody ever seen one? The Crystal Maxx also has a sensor on a long lead, maybe 6". This is a real benefit to locate the sensor in the heatsink fins. Anybody ever seen a temp controlled fan with a remote sensor on a long lead like this?

powergyoza
Patron of SPCR

Post by powergyoza » Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:35 pm

Other than fancontrol's super-duper device, or maybe a Digidoc?, I think you may need to go DIY like I did here: viewtopic.php?t=2842

A device like Silicon Acoustic's NoiseMagic NMT-2 has the thermister on short leads and has no adjustable settings. Does anyone know of off-the-shelf solutions?

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:24 pm

On the topic of linear control, is it possible to attach two fans to the internal PSU leads. I mean this way you could have both fans running at the same voltage, one on top of the CPU and the usual one for the PSU. :idea:

This will make a nice alternative to having a fan at constant voltage for the CPU.