Recommended Fans for Abit IP35 Pro MB in P182 case

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

BenSanford

Recommended Fans for Abit IP35 Pro MB in P182 case

Post by BenSanford » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:38 pm

I've order the Abit IP35 Pro Motherboard to install in the popular P182 case. The MB has a 4-pin CPU fan header, and then five additional 3-pin fan header, so there is enough to have bios control of every fan in the case.

the stock fans have molex connectors, and I wasn't going to use those fans. I had initially planned on using sythe 800 rpm fans with no fan control, but if I want to use the fan control capabilities of the MB, which fans should I use. I'm thinking that the 800 rpm fans might no be capable of being adjusted much slower via the MB. (the MB manual says that it can also control a 3-pin fan from the CPU 4-pin header.

Anyone used the Abit MB fan control? What 120mm fans are recommended for this application?

Ben
------
P182
Abit IP-35 Pro
E6750 CPU
4 GB Corsair DDR2-800 memory
Corsair 520 PSU
Gigabyte 8600 GTS fanless video
500 GB WD drives

JazzJackRabbit

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:37 pm

The fan you chose should depend on the heat generated by your components inside the case. In my case I found for example that a single nexus fan at 12V is more than enough to evacuate heat outside the case in an efficient manner, however I had overheating problems when gaming in summer when nexus was undervolted to 800RPM. Hence the reason why I use Nexus, during normal operation it operates at 7V (around 750-800RPM) at which point it's near inaudible, during gaming I set it back to 12V (1000-1100). Since you have upper mid-range CPU and passive videocard which dumps all the heat inside the case I would think 800RPM fan may not be enough for you. Go with 1000 or 1200 one.

victorpst

Post by victorpst » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:15 am

the Abit IP35Pro has excellent fan control right in the BIOS as well as though the uGuru utility running in the OS. IMHO it is better than most third party fan controllers.

the excellent and somewhat unique feature it offers is specifying the upper and lower fan operating voltages between which the output on the fan header will vary as per the (user selectable) temperature.

i would suggest taking the Scythe S-Flex SFF21F (1,600 RPM) and setting the voltage range from 4V to 8V. this should result in fair silence as well as future potential against overheating. also note that F can be quieter than D and E for same CFM. so an undervolted F happens to be a better bet than the other two.

and if you fit S-Flex F up front and back (of top chamber) then, situation demanding, u can easily create positive pressure to avoid dust accumulation inside the cabinet (say when you are in a dusty LAN party!) by simply using uGuru within windows to crank up the front fan and leaving the rear to run at slow. i am assuming that you will leave the air filters ON. the S-Flex F has such a wide operating range that the same is possible even with two rears and only one front!

Epsilon

Post by Epsilon » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:11 am

4v?

It seems that the ABIT IP35 fan control doesn't offer such low voltage. I read somewhere that the minimum voltage is 7v or 8v...can't remember.

Maybe someone can confirm this?

grazzhoppa

Post by grazzhoppa » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:29 am

The latest BIOS as of now (14), allows 8v to 12v control of fans connected to 3-pin headers.
But the software uGuru that runs in Windows allows the fans to be controlled down to 6v.
  • This software uGuru alters the IP35 Pro's BIOS which is fantastic because you don't need the software uGuru running in the background.
I have a Scythe 120mm fan rated for 1200rpm @ 12v. It runs about
  • 800-900rpm @ 8v connected to a IP35 Pro's fan header.
    700-800rpm @ 6v-7v
I have a Yate Loon 120mm fan rated for 1350rpm @ 12v. It runs about
  • 900-1000 rpm @ 8v connected to a IP35 Pro's fan header.
    850-900rpm @ 6v-7v
Nexus 80mm fan rated for 1500rpm @ 12v. It runs
  • 780-840rpm @ 6v
If a fan is rated for 800rpm @ 12v, then it will have less rpm at 8v.
Think of the fan's rpm rating as the maximum rpm it can have.

The p182 is a large case, no?
Be wary of where the fans are to be placed in that large case, and where the fan headers on the motherboard are - the fan wires may be too short.

Here's the layout of the fan headers on the IP35 Pro. Notice four of the five 3-pin fan headers are in the upper part of the motherboard, and two of them are near the top right corner of the mobo.

Legend: x = 4-pin CPU fan. * is a 3-pin header.
Top of the motherboard
|---------x * *--|
|___CPU_____|
|--NorthBridge-|
|-------*-------*-|
|-PCIe16x-------|
|------------SATA|
|---*--------------|
Bottom of the motherboard

I hope that helps you.

victorpst

Post by victorpst » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:45 am

the voltage is not a problem as u can just attach a resistor in series with the fans to bring about the same affect.

though the +ve pressure argument might not hold.