yate loon 92mm and 80mm fan thoughts?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

nd4spdbh

yate loon 92mm and 80mm fan thoughts?

Post by nd4spdbh » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:00 pm

OK well i have my server over in a corner hidden from my dads view so i can keep it on 24/7... i need it silent, and the current fans in it are beginning to show their age.

There are 4 fans in the case and 2 are 120's so i know im going yate loons from past expierence.

But i was wondering what your guys's thoughts were on these 92 and 80mm versions from yate.

80mm - D80SL-12
http://www.jab-tech.com/product.php?productid=3775

90mm - D90BM-12
http://www.jab-tech.com/product.php?productid=3774

only thing i could see bad would be the 90mm version having a ball bearing, instead of a sleeve... and that its a medium speed... id much rather have a low speed and undervolt, then a medium and have to undervolt more.

Thnx guys.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:51 pm

80mm = great at any speed

92mm = ok at low voltage, very annoying at 12v

nd4spdbh

Post by nd4spdbh » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:57 pm

so theres no unsual ticking, motor or bearing noise from either when being undervolted?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:12 am

I bought a big box of Yate Loons from Jabtech a few months ago......and tested/labeled each one. I used an analog controller at 5-12V.

The 80mm sounded very smooth with no ticking down to 5V (all eight of them). The 92mm (two samples) has a small amount of bearing noise that I can pick out at low voltage, but no ticking. At higher voltage the "woosh" noise from the airflow masks any bearing noise. But the relatively high CFM from that 92mm fan makes it too annoying for use with an automatic analog controller.....like I usually use.

I hooked each fan to a PWM controlled header on an Intel board....both had ticking sounds at lower rpms, which is typical for Yate Loons controlled by PWM. These noises can usually be stopped/toned down by an attenuator. No big deal for me.

Yate Loons are cheap from Jabtech.....buy a few and see for yourself.

If you're looking for 92mm fans.....check the listed CFM spec. The Nexus 92 is listed at 27cfm......the YL is rated at 45 I think. Big difference in sound, mostly due to the increased airflow.

nd4spdbh

Post by nd4spdbh » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:30 pm

cool i wont be using pwm to control the fans as for the nexus 92mm yate loon knock off... no thanks way to expensive, my real main concern was the 80mm yate as it will be replacing the 80mm fan in a zalman 400w psu, and it will be thermally controled,

as for the 92mm, i can undervolt as low as i want to go with some simple simple circuitry

btw a little birdie tells me that jabtech will be getting the "curved" bladed 120mm yate loons in here shortly with in the next 2 weeks or so. 8)

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:26 pm

FWIW....the 92mm Nexus is apparently not a YL. Nobody knows for certain who makes it.

nd4spdbh

Post by nd4spdbh » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:20 pm

ahh ok well still its way over priced.

i just wish jabtech had a Sleeve bearing Low speed version of a 90

eXa

Post by eXa » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:35 am

I bought a few of the 8cm ones a year ago (ish) but wasnt that pleased with them. They all got abit of engine/tikking noise. but maybe mine was from a bad batch...?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:34 am

I hear slight ticking noises with all my Yate Loons, at low rpm, using a PWM voltage control. Some PWM controllers are really bad for this. My LIS2 controller makes a 120mm YL tick at any speed.

And when you buy a YL, it may have been from a different batch. Jabtech sells a lot of these fans.....presumably they have the latest/greatest version of each fan. Model numbers might remain the same' however, as the earlier batch.

It's a crap-shoot. That's why I buy a bunch at one time, and test each one, culling out the worst, saving the best for my own projects. :lol:

nd4spdbh

Post by nd4spdbh » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:07 am

haha ya i spoke to a rep at jabtech and he said that this week wed or thurs they were gettin a new batch of 120mm yates in with the curved style blade... so ima pic some up.

thanks for all you rinsite.

nd4spdbh

Post by nd4spdbh » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:27 pm

OK well i got all my fans 3 120mm yate loon D12SL-12 curved bladed, open corner, 2 80mm D80SL-12's and a 90mm D90BM-12

and essinetally all of them suck big time.

the 3 120s have HORRIBLE HORRIBLE motor noise, the 90 has super bad bearing noise (i might try a drop of oil to see if it helps) and the 80s (one of which i was going to use in a 24/7 server) DONT EVEN HAVE BEARINGS... they have BUSHINGS even thought their model number clearly states SLEEVE bearing.

EDIT... i dunno i opened up the 120's and they had the same style "bearing" that the 80s do.. i also opened up my year old yate loon and it has the same "bearing" but thereis no sleeve part or rollers of any kind in all of them... hmm

nd4spdbh

Post by nd4spdbh » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:44 pm

nd4spdbh wrote:OK well i got all my fans 3 120mm yate loon D12SL-12 curved bladed, open corner, 2 80mm D80SL-12's and a 90mm D90BM-12

and essinetally all of them suck big time.

the 3 120s have HORRIBLE HORRIBLE motor noise, the 90 has super bad bearing noise (i might try a drop of oil to see if it helps) and the 80s (one of which i was going to use in a 24/7 server) DONT EVEN HAVE BEARINGS... they have BUSHINGS even thought their model number clearly states SLEEVE bearing.

EDIT... i dunno i opened up the 120's and they had the same style "bearing" that the 80s do.. i also opened up my year old yate loon and it has the same "bearing" but thereis no sleeve part or rollers of any kind in all of them... hmm
Edit 2... upon further investigation a sleeve bearing is really not a bearing IMO... just a bronze busing, with a steel shaft... makes no sence to me.

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:45 pm

A UPS shipment of fans from jab-tech once arrived "accordionized". A quick call to jab-tech, a call to UPS to claim shipping insurance, and I got a replacement package from jab-tech in nothing flat.

I was easy to tell there was a problem with the physical damage to the box and some fans literally in pieces, but I noticed the bearing on the one Japanaflo sounded atypically poor (for that era). Perhaps your fans got compromised in route?

I'm getting in some of the 80mm and 92mm YLs shortly for work. I'll check them out when they come in and have the time.

nd4spdbh

Post by nd4spdbh » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:00 pm

well soem google research has shown that the bushings i saw were actual sleeve bearings, they are one in the same.

Thus the 80's and 120s have the correct "bearing"

the 90mm is dual ball bearing and has horrible bearing noise... i think ima just return them all... i need these fans to last a LONG time, as they will be on 24/7 but also need to be silent.

Cerb

Post by Cerb » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:26 pm

nd4spdbh wrote:well soem google research has shown that the bushings i saw were actual sleeve bearings, they are one in the same.

Thus the 80's and 120s have the correct "bearing"

the 90mm is dual ball bearing and has horrible bearing noise... i think ima just return them all... i need these fans to last a LONG time, as they will be on 24/7 but also need to be silent.
Try fluid bearing fans, like Panaflo (NMB), the S-Flex, Arctic Cooling, and I think Noctua. The noise benefits of sleeve, longevity of ball (possibly better), and they get louder over time slower. I'm pretty sure cost is the only reason all fans are not using this type of bearing.

I have no idea about the fans you got. I've used Nexus' 80mm, but only one, and have not had a use for any other new 80mm fans since. My experience with 120mm, while I only have two Nexus samples to compare with, is that the Nexus units have a bit tighter QC reqs than the YL branded units.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:04 am

The term "bearing" is a generic term......it applies to sleeve bearings, ball bearings, and a host of other types. As to which is better....depends. Your automobile uses sleeve bearings (or bushings, another generic term mostly applied to sleeve bearings) throughout the engine. These can last a long time, because they are connected to a pressurized oil system. The wheel bearings in an auto are usually ball or roller bearings, packed with lubricant.

Computer fans that use sleeve bearings are usually quieter than an identical fan with ball bearings.....from the bearings only. The airflow noise is the same, and depends on the CFM.

Your batch of bad Yate Loons is not very common. There is nothing much different from a 120mm YL with a sleeve bearing, to a 120mm Nexus. The Nexus just runs slower at 12V, than the YL. The Nexus is said to be among the quietest of all 120mm fans. With a slight under-volt, the Yate Loon is a Nexus......with a different name on it.

nd4spdbh

Post by nd4spdbh » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:56 am

hmm ok... well i was going to use one of these 80mm fans in my psu but thats not gonna happen if they use a sleeve bearing.

How are the artic cooling fans? to they have motor / bearing noise?

Cerb

Post by Cerb » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:35 pm

nd4spdbh wrote:hmm ok... well i was going to use one of these 80mm fans in my psu but thats not gonna happen if they use a sleeve bearing.

How are the artic cooling fans? to they have motor / bearing noise?
Again, the 120mm ones are all I can say for (they're ADDA, IIRC)...there is some bearing noise, but not bad. The one sample I have is quieter than the Nexus, but the Nexus/YL woosh sort of noise makes it sound better to the ear (this is just subjective stuff, here). However, it needs to be run lower for quiet computing purposes...and, I don't know if the non-PWM versions have the same characteristics.

IMO, you should go over to Jab-tech, SVC, and/or Newegg, and get one of several fans that look good to you, and try them. Your specific desires may match up with something other than what is really popular, here, and your own perception of the fan may very different.

OTOH, you could have gotten fans from a bum batch, too.

nd4spdbh

Post by nd4spdbh » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:49 pm

ya i dont think ill be buying any fans... i found a NICE 80mm adda dual ball bearing fan thats amazingly quiet.

Works perfect in my zalman 400w psu, never getting over 7.2v of power when the cpu is fully loaded with orthos, and gpu with ati tool!

when under normal usage we are talking about 6.5v supplied to the fan in the psu which is silent.

i think i just may return all the fans i bought from jabtech as they really are not necessary... doh!