Wiring hookup for 120L1A

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jack_aubrey

Wiring hookup for 120L1A

Post by jack_aubrey » Mon May 12, 2003 1:05 pm

I just received a Panaflo 120L1A from Directron. I had ordered it wired with the 4-pin plug for direct connection to the PSU, but received it with the 3-pin plug for connecting to the motherboard header. Should I be concerned about this? I asked for the 4-pin plug after seeing some posts suggesting that large fans drew enough power to cause damage to a motherboard over time.

marc999
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by marc999 » Mon May 12, 2003 1:38 pm

Actually, that may be a blessing in disguise, with one additional purchase anyway !! If you get the Zalman ZM-MC1, then you can connect your new 120mm L1A to either its 3 pin 5V or 12V feed, depending on your needs. Since the ZM-MC1 is directly connected to your power supply, you don't need to worry about it damaging your motherboard. Quiet PC sells them, as well as other places. Here's the info page from Quiet PC:
http://www.quietpc.ca/cables.html

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Mon May 12, 2003 3:04 pm

You should be fine if you connect it to the motherboard header. But the fan will run full speed (unless your MB supports software fan speed control). If you want to undervolt it, just email directron and let them know they screwed up your order and they'll send you the 4-pin tail free of charge and you can run it at 5V instead of 12V. Otherwise, do not buy the Zalman fanbus since it's notorious for buzzing. Instead, get a switchable fanbus (everywhere for under $10) or get a Sunbeam rheobus for $18 from SVC.
Just browse the Fan/Control forum for many many posts on this issue.

jack_aubrey

Post by jack_aubrey » Mon May 12, 2003 4:37 pm

Mr_Smartepants wrote:Otherwise, do not buy the Zalman fanbus since it's notorious for buzzing. Instead, get a switchable fanbus (everywhere for under $10) or get a Sunbeam rheobus for $18 from SVC.
Thanks. I have a couple of Zalman Fan Mates and was planning on using those; I take it the buzzing you're talking about is from one of those bay-mounted gadgets that control multiple fans? Haven't noticed any buzzing from the Fan Mates in the current machine although the 60mm CPU fans would probably drown them out :-(

al bundy

Post by al bundy » Tue May 13, 2003 12:51 am

The FanMates have absolutely no buzzing sound. I've used tons of those little guys, they make no sound at all. A FanMate would work fine with your 3-pin fan, and attaching to the mobo should be no concern with the Panaflo.

You could also use a 3-pin to 4-pin adapter with your current fan. These are nice because you can even put a FanMate in between the 4-pin PSU connecter and the fan itself, through the 3-pin portion of the line. Then you're not limited to only 5V, 7V, or 12V choices.

Of course, best of all would be the Sunbeam Rheobus, but that would be overkill for just one fan!

8)