Looking for Fan Controller Recommendation

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Blood
Friend of SPCR

Looking for Fan Controller Recommendation

Post by Blood » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:37 pm

Does anyone have any experience with the silverstone one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811999047 with scythe fans. One review says a scythe develops clicking with it while in use.

I have been using Subean Rheobus exclusively in th past but decided to look for something more discrete and fits in the PCI bracket. Is there any Rehostat based controller or alternatively high frequency PWM controller that fits the bill?

JaYp146

Post by JaYp146 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:41 pm

I have this exact fan controller, only in black.

It causes my Yate Loon 120mm exhaust to click, but the one mounted on my Scythe Ninja does not click when connected (:?:).

The included Scythe fan from my Ninja does not click when connected to the Silverstone controller.

Blood
Friend of SPCR

Post by Blood » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:23 am

JaYp146, Do you know if this is an analog fan controller. I think the Mosfet right behind the knobs should get hot if it is. There's only one resistor on the controller board per channel, so hard to tell by the pic.

roadie

Post by roadie » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:39 am

I also have this fan controller in black. It controls two Glacialtech 92mm fans at the front of my Solo and I couldn't be happier with it. At the lowest setting, the fans are silent.

However, one thing I did notice with it when running a 120mm Yate Loon on my TRUE, was that I don't think it was able to reach its max rpm when it was run at its highest setting. Temps seemed to be a few degrees higher than when the fan was run off the CPU fan header on the motherboard.

I can't answer your final question, I am afraid.

Blood
Friend of SPCR

Post by Blood » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:32 am

roadie

Thanks for this information. That wouldn't be too much a problem as I am only planning on using it with my exhausts/intakes (1200rpm s-flex) and don't plan on ever having those fans run at full speed.

Blood
Friend of SPCR

Post by Blood » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:45 am

Update: I made the jump and got this controller.

It plays nice with my yate loons but makes my scythe 92mm kama-flex click very badly.

I have alos noticed that this controller cannot bring the voltage down to 5V despite its claim.

Good thing I ordered it with a bunch of other things and didn't have to pay extra shipping.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:44 pm

Blood wrote:JaYp146, Do you know if this is an analog fan controller. I think the Mosfet right behind the knobs should get hot if it is. There's only one resistor on the controller board per channel, so hard to tell by the pic.
This is a high frequency PWM, whose minimum setting is 50%. I have one. Tried to modify it to go below 50%. No joy. Some fans will click with this controller but most won't. Two sets of adjustments: one if you want to mount next to the floppy on your front panel, one if you want to use a PCI mount on the rear panel.