How can I quiet down my Vantec Aeroflow?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

digerati

How can I quiet down my Vantec Aeroflow?

Post by digerati » Mon May 12, 2003 8:34 pm

I just got a Vantec Aeroflow to replace a Cooler Master CP5-7JD1B and though it does a wonderful job of cooling my AthlonXP 2500+ Barton, it also makes alot of noise!

My Cooler Master wasn't silent, but it was quiet and couldn't be heard over my rather loud Power supply. The Aeroflow has no trouble competing with my Antec PP303XP power supply and though it isn't a jet engine is definitely on the loud side.

I tried using a RC56 Noiseless connector that came with my Zalman ZF1 case fan and it spins the TMD fan on the aeroflow form around 5000 rpms to 2700rpms, and though is reduces the noise quite a bit, it's still louder than my old Coolermaster.

What I'm wondering is if I should just chuck the fan and heatsink and get something else that can do a good job cooling and being quiet, or if I should get rid of the TMD fan and replace it with something else.

If I replace the whole thing, what is a good replacement? I do want to keep temps as low as possible without getting noisey, I'm not going for total silence, just comfortable quiet with my computer in front of me.

If I just replace the TMD fan, what should I replace it with and how do I adapt the 74mm heatsink to a different sized fan (60mm or 80mm)?

I got a Panaflo 80mm L1A fan to mod my powersupply with so hopefully at some point I"m gonna get a decent quiet system.

Thanks!