Connecting 2 fans to 1 mobo connector?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mezi

Connecting 2 fans to 1 mobo connector?

Post by Mezi » Thu May 15, 2003 2:12 pm

Some help for newbie please :)

I have an Intel D845GEBV2 mobo. It is capable to control the speed of three fans based on the readings of onboard temperature sensors. There are connectors for CPU fan and front, rear casefans.

I would like to connect two fans to the rear casefan connector. Can i do this by just soldering the wires together? Can the mobo handle both of them in one connector?

mahkum2

Post by mahkum2 » Thu May 15, 2003 2:48 pm

I was wondering about the same thing. I wanted to try it with an AOpen (awaiting delivery) motherboard with the Silenttek feature. I was thinking about using a 3 Pin Y Splitter to do it. However I am worried that I might end up burning the fan header. I do know one thing for sure that if you use a 3 Pin Y Splitter you won't be able to monitor the rpm's of both fans.

Link to 3 Pin Y Splitter....

http://www.siliconacoustics.com/3pinysplitter.html

Mezi

Post by Mezi » Thu May 15, 2003 2:57 pm

mahkum2 wrote:I do know one thing for sure that if you use a 3 Pin Y Splitter you won't be able to monitor the rpm's of both fans.
I don't see a need for that. If there are too identical fans with no built in temperature control they should be close on rpm-s if fed with the same voltage.

Vector

Post by Vector » Thu May 15, 2003 3:21 pm

I did that very thing in one of my older cases. I used the y splitter to connect 2 three pin fans to one connector on the MB. Didn't have any problems with doing it.

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Thu May 15, 2003 5:09 pm

Not so fast. First check the power rating of your fans and the power rating of the mobo header.

On my ASUS the maximum (spec) load on each mobo header is 350mA (4.2W). Something like 2 80mm 'flo L1A (0.8W) is no problem, but there are many cheapo fans well upward of 2W and some of the overclockers screamers are somewhere around 8W. If you do overload the header you may be lucky and only lose that header, or unlucky and lose the mobo.