Silencing a Asus Radeon 4650

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

kasvad

Silencing a Asus Radeon 4650

Post by kasvad » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:13 am

I've bought a new graphics card for my pc, but it's somewhat more noisy than I suspected.

The card is a ASUS EAH4650/DI/512MD (Radeon 4650 GPU).

It has a small fan and I considered replacing that.

Is that possible?
Any thoughts on which fan to use instead?

The card is sitting in a system with a Core 2 Duo (E7400) CPU. The system is generally running at a low temperature, so I believe that the air flow is ok.

Help and ideas will be appreciated!

/K

InfyMcGirk

Post by InfyMcGirk » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:22 am

Unfortunately, you won't be able to find a quiet small fan. Only the larger fans can shift a decent amount of air whilst running at low rpms, which means they're quiet (if you pick a quiet model!).

If you feel comfortable with dealing with thermal paste and re-assembling heatsinks etc, you should try using a third party heatsink like the Accelero S1 rev2 or similar. Assuming you've got decent airflow in your case, you could run the card passively with such a large efficient heatsink. ;)

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:28 am

Hi, you could try installing ATiTool and seeing if it can control the speed of the fan on your card. You may be able to run the fan slower at idle than it currently is. Temps up to 70°C idle and 90°C load are acceptable (IMO, other vary!)
Regards, Seb

kasvad

Post by kasvad » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:44 am

InfyMcGirk wrote: If you feel comfortable with dealing with thermal paste and re-assembling heatsinks etc, you should try using a third party heatsink like the Accelero S1 rev2 or similar. Assuming you've got decent airflow in your case, you could run the card passively with such a large efficient heatsink. ;)
Great tip - thank's.
And I don't mind getting my fingers "dirty" :wink:

kasvad

Post by kasvad » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:45 am

SebRad wrote:Hi, you could try installing ATiTool and seeing if it can control the speed of the fan on your card. You may be able to run the fan slower at idle than it currently is. Temps up to 70°C idle and 90°C load are acceptable (IMO, other vary!)
Regards, Seb
I'll give it a try. Thanks!