3 pin vs 4 pin fan confusion

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

grnarrow
Friend of SPCR

3 pin vs 4 pin fan confusion

Post by grnarrow » Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:43 pm

While trying to find a place to buy 120mm panaflo L1A's in the US (I was going to get one from directron, but they are out of stock) I ran across this page at subzeropc.com: http://www.subzeropc.com/article/fantail.htm

I had been planning on buying fans with a 3pin connector, because the spcr review on the zalman mulitfan controller, which I am planning on getting, indicates it takes 3pin connectors. The article linked above recommends that 120mm fans should have a 4pin connector because they take power from the psu instead of the motherboard. They say: "this prevents too much power from being used directly from the motherboard. "

I assume that if i'm going to plug it into the zalman, I still want (in fact, need) the 3pin connector, but if I don't get the zalman for a while, or maybe even never, would I still be able to power the fans (2x120's +92cpu fan) from the motherboard, or will it cause power problems with the motherboard? Or should I get some 3 to 4 pin converters to use in case I dont' get the zalman?

And while we're on the subject of 120mm panaflos, any opinions on what the current best US source of L1A's is?

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:06 am

Get both the 3 to 4 pin adaptor (very cheap) and the Zalman fanmate. Connect the fanmate to the 3-4pin adaptor and your 120mm fan the the fanmate.

This will run the fan from your PSU instead, a whole lot safer if you are concerned, but the likely hood of it burning your motherboard 3-pin header is small, since you are running them at lower than 12v I assume.

Now you play around with the fanmate to your desired noise level/airflow.

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:29 am

ez2remember wrote:This will run the fan from your PSU instead, a whole lot safer if you are concerned, but the likely hood of it burning your motherboard 3-pin header is small, since you are running them at lower than 12v I assume.
The FanMate will use the power that the voltage drop "saves". So, the overall consumption will be the same, and the header will burn, if the fan takes too much current.

Cheers,

Jan

Kostik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Kostik » Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:49 am

A panaflo 120mm L1A draws 0.18A, many 80mm fans draw more current, so most motherboards should be able to handle them. You could even probably run one from your cellular phone's charger :)

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:36 am

Jan Kivar wrote:
ez2remember wrote:This will run the fan from your PSU instead, a whole lot safer if you are concerned, but the likely hood of it burning your motherboard 3-pin header is small, since you are running them at lower than 12v I assume.
The FanMate will use the power that the voltage drop "saves". So, the overall consumption will be the same, and the header will burn, if the fan takes too much current.

Cheers,

Jan
I think you missed my point, the 3-4pin adaptor would be connected to the PSU and hence drawing the power from the PSU. So how will this burn the mobo 3pin head? :wink:

But I know what you mean about the fanmate not reducing the overall power consumptioin. :wink:

ruprag

Post by ruprag » Mon Jun 30, 2003 5:43 am

according to Dorothy you can burn your mobo when using "large" fans when using a Zalman mfc1 if you connect to tach output to the header !

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Mon Jun 30, 2003 7:59 am

ez2remember wrote:
Jan Kivar wrote:

Cheers,

Jan
I think you missed my point, the 3-4pin adaptor would be connected to the PSU and hence drawing the power from the PSU. So how will this burn the mobo 3pin head? :wink:
I was trying to clarify this point. One can't run a fan from the motherboard connector at any other voltage than 12V. So, One would need a FanMate or similiar to lower the voltage that goes to the fan. The whole circuit would still need the same current.

We are getting too technical.... :wink:

Jan

grnarrow
Friend of SPCR

Post by grnarrow » Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:51 am

Thanks for the responses! It looks like I'll be getting the 3pin connectors and some 4pin adaptors so I can keep most flexible.

monkiman
Friend of SPCR
Location: Seattle, WA -- *Active* member of the SPCR Folding@Home team!

Post by monkiman » Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:17 am

Hey grnarrow -

Seems like everyone was missing the "zalman mulitfan controller" part of your question - I asume you mean the ZM-MFC1 (which I have)

The controller hooks up directly to the PSU via 4 pin molex - you'll want to buy 3 pin 120's - I have mine hooked up to it - it works great!