How to Soft Mount a Fan

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

speedkar9

How to Soft Mount a Fan

Post by speedkar9 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:15 pm

How do I soft mount my fans?
Where do I get those 'rubber thingies' from?
These are common questions we see all the time. Here is how I soft mounted a case fan on the cheap by simply using two rubber bands, no need to go out and buy grommets or rubber screws!

It is assumed that the fan's corners are already cut so the rubber bands can pass through them.

Step 1: Slip the rubber band through two holes, and double knot it at each end. This will hold the fan away from the case.

Step 2: Pull the loose ends through the mounting holes. Depending on the hole size, you may need to make a bigger knot.

Step 3: Tie a double knot on the outside end. The rubber band now sandwiches the case on either end with knots.

Step 4: Tie the loose ends together for a secure mount, making sure the knots stay in place behind and in front of the mounting holes.

Case fan mounted from inside: Push around the fan, you will see that it is now soft mounted with respect to the case. If vibrations still prevail, loosen the rubber band's tension a bit.

I hope you understand my explanation, if not I could draw a schematic.

This could also be done using bicycle tube or pant elastics, as rubber bands may fail over time.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: How to Soft Mount a Fan

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:15 pm

speedkar9 wrote:as rubber bands may fail over time.
I'd rephrase that to: "as rubber bands will fail over a fairly short period of time".

:)

bonestonne

Post by bonestonne » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:45 pm

The same could be done using a girls fabric hair tie, in similar fashion. I tend to pull the rubber fan mounts out of tossed Dell computers (just as cheap).

You could do this with fans that haven't had their corners cut, it would just require larger rubber bands, or using only one rubber band per hole. Simple enough.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:28 pm

This isn't rocket science. Some silicone caulk and nylon bolts/nuts work just fine.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:35 pm

Velcro :)

speedkar9

Post by speedkar9 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:37 pm

frenchie wrote:Velcro :)
m0002a wrote:Some silicone caulk and nylon bolts/nuts work just fine.
I would be interested in how these would work for fan soft mounting, and how effective it would be.

At least with rubber band/ clothing elastic, its dirt cheap :).

josephclemente

Post by josephclemente » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:51 pm

Right now I am using foam ear plugs in some of my fan holes. They seem to work very well, and the fan can be spaced a little bit away from the case metal. The ear plugs expand to fill the space nicely.