Can someone recommend me a better way to redirect my airflow

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dougw03

Can someone recommend me a better way to redirect my airflow

Post by dougw03 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:25 pm

Hello,

I have an Antec Fusion HTPC case w/ ATI 5450 passively cooled, PSU w/two 80mm fans, 80mm CPU HSF, two 120mm fans, two 80mm panaflo s1a fans on PCI bracket. Basically I purchased a Ceton Quadtuner and was worried about it overheating so I bought the PCI bracket. So far the best solution has been to put the two 120mm fans at medium speed but it makes the case really noisy. I have run the two panaflos at 5V for the past two weeks but it was basically the same temps as not having them at all. I just tried cranking them up to 7V, but am worried that will do nothing and that my airflow might be a problem. Are the fans cancelling each other out? Ideally I would like to cool my graphics card and quad tuner but considering the quad was $400 and the graphics card was $40, I'd rather the graphics card go out first. Should I have both fans blowing on the quad tuner or will that just blow hot air from the ati?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ces

Re: Can someone recommend me a better way to redirect my air

Post by ces » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:47 pm

What you have is good. Why change it. Any problems with temps?

One possible addition: cut a hole in the top and duct the cool external air right to the fan above the CPU heat sink.

frenchie
Friend of SPCR

Post by frenchie » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:40 pm

If it ain't broke, don't fix it ! ;)

If it were my setup, I would get rid of the PCI fans and I would have the 120mm fans as exhausts... but that's just me :)

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:03 pm

The 120mm fans should be blowing OUT. That's the way they should have been shipped in the case. Flipping them hurts HD and VGA/PCI add-on card temps. You should be fine with the 120s on low blowing out, w/o the extra Panaflos. Surely you can monitor the temps on the $400 card?