It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Replacing stock fans for Fractal R3
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:12 am
Posts: 23
Which fans can I use to replace the stock fans on the Fractal R3? I don't intend to add additional fans (maybe an additional front fan if needed). That is, at most I would have 2 intake fans and out exhaust fan.
Any suggestions pple?

Oh, and the items I would be getting would be gotten from here.
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... ex&cPath=9

So any suggestions are preferably available from the site.

Thanks!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Replacing stock fans for Fractal R3
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:38 pm
Posts: 298
Location: ontario
i'd suggest either the nexus 120, or the scythe slipstream 800rpm, or 1200rpm versions.. undervolted they should all be very quiet.

a lot of those prices look painful lol... probably stick with the nexus.

_________________
my foamed mini p180 | corsair cx-400 w/ fan swap | scythe mugen-2 | thermalright hr-05 | unlocked sempron 140 | asrock 880g | 8gb mushkin |vertex 30gb boot | 7TBs storage |


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Replacing stock fans for Fractal R3
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:12 am
Posts: 23
fumino wrote:
i'd suggest either the nexus 120, or the scythe slipstream 800rpm, or 1200rpm versions.. undervolted they should all be very quiet.

a lot of those prices look painful lol... probably stick with the nexus.


Yea they do look expensive don't they :D.
If I do slipstream 800rpm fans, do I need two of them for the front of my casing? What's the safest way to undervolt? Use the fan controller that Fractal provided?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Replacing stock fans for Fractal R3
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 685
Location: Gefle, Sweden
If you don't need much airflow the Slip Stream 800's can be run at 5V and still start reliably, in contrast to the Nexus Silents. Then there are also cheap 5V adapters from Zalman and others that for instance convert one molex to 2 x 5V and 2 x 12V 3pin connectors. If you want to run a little higher than 5V then try the included controller. At 5V even the included fans might be usable as intakes, depending on the positioning of the system to the users ears. The linked company doesn't seem to have any such multi-connectors though.

_________________
i5-3570K at 4 GHz Turbo, HR-02 Macho w/o fan, MSI R9 290 Gaming, Fractal Design Define R4, 2 front fans, 1 exhaust. 2 SSD's and a quiet Seagate 4TB (ST4000DM000) HDD, Seasonic P-460FL (no squealing).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Replacing stock fans for Fractal R3
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:51 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:12 am
Posts: 23
mkk wrote:
If you don't need much airflow the Slip Stream 800's can be run at 5V and still start reliably, in contrast to the Nexus Silents. Then there are also cheap 5V adapters from Zalman and others that for instance convert one molex to 2 x 5V and 2 x 12V 3pin connectors. If you want to run a little higher than 5V then try the included controller. At 5V even the included fans might be usable as intakes, depending on the positioning of the system to the users ears. The linked company doesn't seem to have any such multi-connectors though.


I would probably need a bit of air-flow, as the cable-management in my case, while not messy, can definitely be improved. Would having 2 of the slipstream 800rpm fans as intakes and 1 as the exhaust be too extreme?

Sorry for the noobish questions; maybe I should have posted in the newcomers forum. :oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Replacing stock fans for Fractal R3
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 685
Location: Gefle, Sweden
That sounds like a good setup. With my white R3 though the rear vent was so restrictive to the airflow that a Slip Stream 800 at full speed created quite a bit of noise. Might be the extra thick white paint, but I opted to open up the rearwards top vent and an using two Slip Stream 800's at 5V for exhaust. Depending on how powerful hardware you are using it might be a good idea to buy an extra fan just in case. Those are some excellent fans anyway. :)

_________________
i5-3570K at 4 GHz Turbo, HR-02 Macho w/o fan, MSI R9 290 Gaming, Fractal Design Define R4, 2 front fans, 1 exhaust. 2 SSD's and a quiet Seagate 4TB (ST4000DM000) HDD, Seasonic P-460FL (no squealing).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Replacing stock fans for Fractal R3
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:12 am
Posts: 23
[quote="mkk" Then there are also cheap 5V adapters from Zalman and others that for instance convert one molex to 2 x 5V and 2 x 12V 3pin connectors. [/quote]

Do you have a link to those adapters?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Replacing stock fans for Fractal R3
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:51 pm
Posts: 685
Location: Gefle, Sweden
http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Produ ... sp?idx=224
I believe Zalman was first out on the market with this idea, while now there are copies out there. It's such a simple thing after all.

_________________
i5-3570K at 4 GHz Turbo, HR-02 Macho w/o fan, MSI R9 290 Gaming, Fractal Design Define R4, 2 front fans, 1 exhaust. 2 SSD's and a quiet Seagate 4TB (ST4000DM000) HDD, Seasonic P-460FL (no squealing).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Replacing stock fans for Fractal R3
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:12 am
Posts: 23
mkk wrote:
That sounds like a good setup. With my white R3 though the rear vent was so restrictive to the airflow that a Slip Stream 800 at full speed created quite a bit of noise. Might be the extra thick white paint, but I opted to open up the rearwards top vent and an using two Slip Stream 800's at 5V for exhaust. Depending on how powerful hardware you are using it might be a good idea to buy an extra fan just in case. Those are some excellent fans anyway. :)


How do the slipstream 800rpms compare to the s-flex 800rpms? Still figuring out which set-up to get. :oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Replacing stock fans for Fractal R3
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Posts: 2907
Location: ITALY
Bluemilk wrote:
Still figuring out which set-up to get. :oops:

Maybe because you haven't read enough the site's articles? At anyway, providing it won't run horizontally, a Slipstream would look like a better option (apart samples variance).

Code:
Scythe Slipstream SY1225SL12L
Voltage   Noise   RPM   CFM
12V        19     770    24
9V        ~18     640    21
7V        <18     540    18
5V        <18     420    13
@20 CFM (8.4V)   ~18 dBA@1m    620 RPM

Scythe S-Flex SFF21D
Voltage   Noise   RPM   CFM
12V        ~20    850    23
9V         <19    620    16
7V         <19    430    11
5V        STALL
@20 CFM (10.8V)   <19 dBA@1m   750 RPM

_________________
Regards,
Luca


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Replacing stock fans for Fractal R3
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:12 am
Posts: 23
Sorry, completely missed that article out. :oops:

Another question: :mrgreen: has any one used Noctua's low-noise adaptors with other fan models?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Replacing stock fans for Fractal R3
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Posts: 2907
Location: ITALY
Bluemilk wrote:
has any one used Noctua's low-noise adaptors with other fan models?

Yes, I actually use them: it works, but YMMV (as different fans - may - have different current ratings).

_________________
Regards,
Luca


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group