It is currently Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dell Server R410 40mm fans
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:50 am 

Hi group,

I was looking around on this forum and found a few articles about 40mm fans however none were related to the Dell R410 40mm stock server fans.

They seem highly unusual the fans and I cannot even find a suitable replacement online.

I'm wondering, are there alternatives to these ghastly 40mm fans in my server? I have like 12 of them in my server and it just causes a headache listening to them all the time! What is even more concerning is that the pins that connects to the motherboard seems to be 4pins instead of 3 :S

I will attach some photos of the fans... please, can anyone help?

Thanks

James

Post subject: Re: Dell Server R410 40mm fans
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:57 am 

Hi,

I am using Noiseblocker XM1 and XM2 in my 5,25" external enclosures, they work fine, and quite silently, but they are 10mm thick, and 3 pins too.
(If it is a server with many hard drive, I think they may be used @12V directly without too much noise)

If you need thicker fan, I think there's a Scythe Kaze mini that is 20 or 25mm thick (and they also have a 10mm one).
Yate-loon is also producing some 20mm thick fan, I got the 6000rpm one, pushes lots of air (considering the size), but noisy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:44 am 

Not trying to be a jerk here, but I don't think you will have much luck quieting down a 1U rack mount server. Those thick 40 mm fans are pretty standard for 1U rack mounts but I doubt you will find anything significantly quieter. Yours looks like either pairs of 40 mm x 28 mm or 40 mm x 56 mm PWM fans.

Even if you can find quieter fans in those sizes you will likely run into problems. The server might overheat and/or the BIOS would reject slower fans as broken.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:21 pm 
*Lifetime Patron*

washu wrote:
Not trying to be a jerk here, but I don't think you will have much luck quieting down a 1U rack mount server. Those thick 40 mm fans are pretty standard for 1U rack mounts but I doubt you will find anything significantly quieter. Yours looks like either pairs of 40 mm x 28 mm or 40 mm x 56 mm PWM fans.

Even if you can find quieter fans in those sizes you will likely run into problems. The server might overheat and/or the BIOS would reject slower fans as broken.

agreed.
1U's belong in a server room, not near the user. its how they were deigned.

Put that mobo in a tower case and use some 120 mm fans, a quite PSU, a tower CPU heat sink and your on your way to being able to hear yourself think.

oh and,

WELCOME TO SPCR!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:27 pm 

Thank you all who responded and welcomed me ;-)

I agree, this server does belong in the server room and I got the 1U form factor just for that purpose. 1U space costs less than 2Us etc... However I due to financial circumstances now I cannot afford to fork out the Data Center charges and contract duration.

Anyway, I apologies for not adding photos of the fans, suppose it's pretty pointless now anyways! I couldn't add the photos because as soon as I hit submit on my post being my first post if had to be moderated...

Anyway, I built an enclosure for it and it's managed to quiten down the whirring a fraud bit :-). Plus I measurs the ambient temp of the air in the box and it's a cool 17 Celsius, I think between 10 and as far up to 27 degrees is what Google's data center techs recommends so I am all good :-)

Now my 1U server sounds like, well sounds less!!!!

Thanks everyone :-)

James