Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

craarc

help with fan+ controller wiring plz

Post by craarc » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:31 am

Hi guys
first post apologies if ive got stuff wrong really need to get this sorted out
i have just bought 2 Acoustifan 120 mm fans with the 3 speed cable fitting
http://www.acoustiproducts.com/en/acous ... tproof.asp

i want to use them in the setup below can you tell me how to wire them into my modded water cooling system to do what is required.

i will explain what i am trying to do then the problem i have with wiring the fans.

at present i use 2 x Thermaltake Aquarius 111 water cooling units, yes i know they are old hat now (discontinued years ago) but i like the idea of the control interface and the look of it ..

i am trying to modify one but still use the control and monitoring side of things as the pump has finally given up the ghost and have decided to upgrade the whole setup to half inch tubing in a large bore set up
so to enable me to do this i have replaced the combined water tank pump with those shown below and also removed the old fan and rad which i am replacing with a 2 x 120 rad and fans mounted externally from the control unit.

the fan originally was this below, hopefully u can see from the pic it has 5 cables 3 x yellow one red one black

the red and black went to a 4 pin Molex for power.
the single yellow lead goes to one of the normal 3 pin fan header connections (effectively single yellow to blue on the 3 pin fan header)
the twin yellow 2 pin plug goes to a red and black lead from the rotary speed controller on the front panel

as this fan is now woefully inadequate i need 2 x 120 mm fans that r both efficient and quiet hence the purchase of the 2 Acoustifan.

so the question is

How do i wire new 3 pin fans(what ever would be best or are there 4 or 5 pin fans available that would do the job) into the system to still give me adjustable fan speed using the front plate control, and speed readouts on the front panel,

basically doing what it does now but with my new fans as i cant seem to find fans with the same 5 cables.?

if some kind person who knows what they are doing can tell my if i need to splice cables and in what order to what as in red to red yellow to yellow to and from ..... in a nice simple fashion would be great .
I've explained it the best i can so hopefully someone's has a better idea than me as I'm stuck ...

thx in advance
colin

ces

Re: help with fan+ controller wiring plz

Post by ces » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:39 am

I am unsure of what the question is, you might want to restate it in fewer words....

But you should be able to hook up a 3 pin fan to a molex connector. Most fans come with that capability. I am sure you can get a cable with a 3 pin connector on one end and a molex on the other. Try PerformancePCs.com

craarc

Post by craarc » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:09 am

ok i need to connect the 3 pin fan

1 to power
2 to rotary speed control (red and black also on control knob)
3 to digital readout blue on the fan header (that shouldnt be a problem)

do i just take red from the molex then connect it to red on the controller?
then the black on the controller to the red on the fan ?
then black on the fan back to black on the molex to complete the loop?

does that make more sense ?

thx
colin

craarc

Post by craarc » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:54 am

okie an update

have done what i mentioned above, and all runs okie if the roatary controller is turned at maximum but i only have to turn it back approx a third and the fans shut down
so in effect i dont have a full rnge of motion with it not a major issue i guess but

if i buy pwm fans and attach them in the same way would that solve that issue and would i be able to vary the speed any more or isnt that an option?

thx again for any help

colin