Scythe Kaze Master Ace WTF readings?!

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Anatorax

Scythe Kaze Master Ace WTF readings?!

Post by Anatorax » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:04 am

Hi all!

I have recently purchased a Scythe Kaze Master Ace controller on ebay and connected my 4 fans to it. It works fine, but there are two problems:

1) The fan RPM speeds are inaccurate. Sometimes they are correct, sometimes not, usually they don't react to fan speed changes.

2) I noticed that those little black things on the back (transistors, resistors whatever) are getting very hot. So hot that the display is rather warm to touch. Is it normal? I really don't want the damn thing to fail.

Thanks!

Das_Saunamies
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Scythe Kaze Master Ace WTF readings?!

Post by Das_Saunamies » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:55 am

1) The fan speeds could possibly be too low to measure accurately. All analog fans I've ever used do this (using my first PWM fans now, doubt their measuring method is any different though, but you DO know the power cycles used), usually when approaching 600 RPM the readings either drop to zero, freeze or become erratic (the most common scenario).

2) Normal. The power that's not going to the fans has to be dumped somewhere, and that somewhere is the controller, which releases the energy as heat - and it is on the receiving end of the full power load without any mechanism that requires it. 80'C and 105'C are common temperature ratings (maximum operating I think) for capacitors, for example, so if something feels "warm" or even "hot" to a human, it's still probably well within accepted operating parameters. The old BigNG controller I have even employs a heatsink, and for a good reason too!

TigerUK

Re: Scythe Kaze Master Ace WTF readings?!

Post by TigerUK » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:38 pm

my kaze master fan sometimes gives the wrong readings. Ususally happens in the middle of using the computer, other times it doesn't

I had a problem before where my power cable to the kazer master burnt up. Not the PSU cables but ust the molex to kaze master cable burnt (scythe posted me a replacement for free).

I think it was becasuse two of the fans I used had their own spped controllers, and when you have lots of speed controllers on a circuit it overheats the cable and causes it to catch fire.

If you have fans with their own speed controllers, try removing them and see what happens.

I also don't have temp sensors. It seems a bit pointless to take out the psu and GPU heatsinks to put the temp sensors in, when I have software sensors already.