Best 180mm Fans, if any good ones at all?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

lanbonden

Best 180mm Fans, if any good ones at all?

Post by lanbonden » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:32 am

Hi,

I kind of wonder if there is any good silent 180mm fans out there? My last build was with the well knowm scyte GT fans @550 RPM that is almost silent. I plan to build a much bigger WC loop now tho with 2x 1080mm Radiators where I hopefully could use 4 really really slow 180mm fans mounted like Radiator-Fan-Radiator. With the amount of area id just need something that moves very slow so Im basicly looking for the best 180mm fan possible that starts at as low voltage as possible.

A qualified guess is that Id want something running at like 300 RPM or so? Another thing to take into account when deciding is that they would be laying down and not standing up.

So whats the best option out there for me?

Abula

Re: Best 180mm Fans, if any good ones at all?

Post by Abula » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:52 pm

Welcome to SPCR!!!!!

180mm is a very peculiar and no that common, very few options out there, while on 120 you will find the best fans atm, and even so there are some 180s that are not 25mm like most fans, so you are limiting lot the options out there.

A lot of people find the Silverstone AP181 too noisy, i used to use a TJ08-E and activly participated on the owners thread on OCN, but its a really good fan in term of performance, the problem is that above 500rpms becomes noticible (maybe even lower for some), could be the mesh as well, but a lot find it noticeble, and thus some look out for some alternatives, some people prefered the Phobia 180, might be less noisy, but i never tried it says it is. But on OCN most that made the change say its better.

Personally i think the silverstone has a great fan, even SPCR liked it on the TJ08-E review, hell even on the FT02 review, but the problem is that its too noticeable. In persue for a fan that could lower more i tested the AP182, that can be dropped much lower, in case you are interested check Taming the beast, Silverstone AP182.

So either AP182 or the Phobia is what i would suggest to consider, if neither is to your liking, then go back to 120s.

lanbonden

Post by lanbonden » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:43 am

Abula wrote:Welcome to SPCR!!!!!

180mm is a very peculiar and no that common, very few options out there, while on 120 you will find the best fans atm, and even so there are some 180s that are not 25mm like most fans, so you are limiting lot the options out there.

A lot of people find the Silverstone AP181 too noisy, i used to use a TJ08-E and activly participated on the owners thread on OCN, but its a really good fan in term of performance, the problem is that above 500rpms becomes noticible (maybe even lower for some), could be the mesh as well, but a lot find it noticeble, and thus some look out for some alternatives, some people prefered the Phobia 180, might be less noisy, but i never tried it says it is. But on OCN most that made the change say its better.

Personally i think the silverstone has a great fan, even SPCR liked it on the TJ08-E review, hell even on the FT02 review, but the problem is that its too noticeable. In persue for a fan that could lower more i tested the AP182, that can be dropped much lower, in case you are interested check Taming the beast, Silverstone AP182.

So either AP182 or the Phobia is what i would suggest to consider, if neither is to your liking, then go back to 120s.
Thanks for the welcome, Ive been a long time reader (since like 2004/2005 something) but never felt the need to register and post before.

Like I said, my old rig used scyte GT fans at 550 RPM that I though was a bit to noisy so thats what I compare with if I decide to go back to active cooling again if I decide to go for a higher performing system. Ive read your rewiev on the AP182 and it looks really interesting, I bet its pretty silent at ~200 RPM :)

Guess I can say that my current setup is an overclocked i7 2600k and a gtx 580 thats cooled by two Zalman reserator 1 towers and a 1080mm Radiator without fans aswell as a mcp350 pump on 9V thats placed in a vibration and sound dampening box so its really dead silent but Im at the limit of how much heat this system can take care of.. So thats why I think about making an external sound dampening box for 2x 1080mm rads with some slow fans moving Air.

RIchardF

Post by RIchardF » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:08 am

lanbonden wrote:So thats why I think about making an external sound dampening box for 2x 1080mm rads with some slow fans moving Air.
I was asking about the same thing in power supplies and kept getting comments like "Why are you going to watercool when your GPU fans are going to make so much noise?"

There's a guy who set up a system with two 1080mm radiators, each with nine 120mm Noctuas running at around 350 RPM. He said he set the limit at 500 but they usually spun lower. Given all the potential clicking from eighteen fans, not to mention the high price... I was hoping to instead mount four 180mm fans on them.