SPCR
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/

[Quietest] 180mm Fan possible
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=64177
Page 1 of 1

Author:  StellaTerra [ Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:08 pm ]
Post subject:  [Quietest] 180mm Fan possible

Hello,

I'm putting together a water cooled micro-atx build in the SilverStone Temjin TJ08B-E, which happens to accept a 180mm fan in the front and 200mm (Phobya 200mm) radiator on top of that. So my thought was, great, I'll just do that with a quiet PWM 180mm fan. Unfortunately, there are no pwm 180mm fans that I could find. So I sluthed out the Sunbeamtech Rheosmart which can accept a 3-pin connector and power it (and control it) through pwm. What was left was finding the right fan.

So, given that I basically only need to pull a fairly modest amount of air through the radiator, and given that I will usually have pwm setting the fan to as low as it can go without turning off, what is the single quietest 180mm fan purchasable?

Thank you!

Author:  rpsgc [ Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Silentest 180mm Fan possible

http://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=222&area=en

Starts at 500rpm but it's expensive (and white).

Author:  StellaTerra [ Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:40 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Silentest 180mm Fan possible

Cool, thanks for the vote! Any others agree or disagree?

Author:  aerial [ Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Silentest 180mm Fan possible

get one of phobya 180x25mm fans, they are cheaper and quieter than silverstone (not as good performance on higher speeds, but you don't want that)

Author:  aztec [ Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Silentest 180mm Fan possible

I have the same case, and even at 750rpm, i find the SS fan noisy. I think i'm going to experiment with the Phobya.

Author:  Frank Benign [ Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Silentest 180mm Fan possible

Asus motherboards like the Maximus Gene have built-in voltage controllers on their 3-pin fan headers. Combined with the Asus Fan Xpert you get automatic fan control. I have an Asus Maximus IV Gene Z in a TJ08B-E case at work. Automatic fan control works a treat. Just leave the front fan speed switch at the highest setting and let the software do the work.

Author:  ces [ Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:15 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Silentest 180mm Fan possible

StellaTerra wrote:
180mm fan in the front and 200mm (Phobya 200mm)


1. I don't think there are any quiet fans of that size.
2. water cooling radiators are high impedance / static pressure applications. Smaller fans are inherently better at such applications.
3. If you are married to the case and big fan radiators... so be it. If not, you would be better off with a double 120mm radiator mounted with two 120mm Scythe GT fans.

Author:  ces [ Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Silentest 180mm Fan possible

If you want some real water cooling muscle, try this Corsair Hydro H100, with two 120mm Sycthe GT fans
See:
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.c ... 665&page=7
and:
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.c ... cleID=2665

But here is the problem with water cooling. When it breaks it is catastrophic. It's not just spilling water on your motherboard. You have one pump motor. When it breaks, perhaps when you are not at the computer, all cooling stops. There is no secondary conduction to save your CPU and motherboard from over heating.

When you get a nice large heat sink with two fans. Under most circumstances the fan left will keep operating within a few degrees of both together. And in the unlikely even that both fans break, most of the really top end fan based CPU coolers will soldier on if all you are doing is idling or surfing the internet.

You just don't get that kind of redundant protection from water coolers. One leak or one bad pump motor... you are looking at having to spend a lot of money.

Author:  crashed [ Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Silentest 180mm Fan possible

Having been mentioned in this thread, has anyone tried the phobya 180s? It's hard to find any useful info about these.

Author:  AckeDman [ Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Silentest 180mm Fan possible

crashed wrote:
Having been mentioned in this thread, has anyone tried the phobya 180s? It's hard to find any useful info about these.


I have ordered the Phobya 180mm LED fan (going to cut of the led part) but it might take 1-2v for me to get it. If you want a review i can report back.

Author:  crashed [ Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Silentest 180mm Fan possible

AckeDman wrote:
crashed wrote:
Having been mentioned in this thread, has anyone tried the phobya 180s? It's hard to find any useful info about these.


I have ordered the Phobya 180mm LED fan (going to cut of the led part) but it might take 1-2v for me to get it. If you want a review i can report back.


I'd be very grateful if you would.

Author:  codaroma [ Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Silentest 180mm Fan possible

StellaTerra wrote:
Hello,

Unfortunately, there are no pwm 180mm fans that I could find.

Thank you!

http://www.thewatercoolingshop.co.uk/ph ... 79123.html

Author:  AckeDman [ Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Silentest 180mm Fan possible

crashed wrote:
AckeDman wrote:
crashed wrote:
Having been mentioned in this thread, has anyone tried the phobya 180s? It's hard to find any useful info about these.


I have ordered the Phobya 180mm LED fan (going to cut of the led part) but it might take 1-2v for me to get it. If you want a review i can report back.


I'd be very grateful if you would.


I have been looking for this thread to give you an update on the Phobya.

The Phobya is very quiet when i connected it outside my case to the motherboard to try out but once inside the case it wasnt quiet anymore. I believe it is because i hardmounted it with screws.

However the fan is somewhat weak at cooling even at 12v. I recommend buying the fan and then in a couple of years when the likes of Scythe, Nexus, Noctua and Noiseblocker produces nice 180mm fans you uppgrade again, thats what i am planning. Also softmount if possible.

Author:  crashed [ Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:55 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Silentest 180mm Fan possible

Thanks for the heads up, I will probably buy one for my case. Even if its noisy it should be quieter than a defective whirring fan I currently have.

Author:  aztec [ Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Silentest 180mm Fan possible

Frank Benign wrote:
Asus motherboards like the Maximus Gene have built-in voltage controllers on their 3-pin fan headers. Combined with the Asus Fan Xpert you get automatic fan control. I have an Asus Maximus IV Gene Z in a TJ08B-E case at work. Automatic fan control works a treat. Just leave the front fan speed switch at the highest setting and let the software do the work.


My maximus gene V has a limit of 60% cycle duty for the chassis fans, which leaves the stock fan spinning at around 800rpm. Its quite audible at this speed.

Hopefully, one of those phobyas running at 700rpm will be quieter.

Author:  darivo [ Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Silentest 180mm Fan possible

Phobya PWM 18cm (500-900rpm) as a Cha_Fan

http://foro.noticias3d.com/vbulletin/sh ... ost4615218

Author:  aztec [ Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: [Quietest] 180mm Fan possible

For those with a tj08-e

What about replacing the front intake with a quiet 140mm fan?

Author:  Pappnaas [ Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: [Quietest] 180mm Fan possible

aztec wrote:
For those with a tj08-e

What about replacing the front intake with a quiet 140mm fan?


If i won't use the 180mm fan, then there's no use in buying. Get PS07 instead.

Author:  Hrafn [ Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Silentest 180mm Fan possible

AckeDman wrote:
I have ordered the Phobya 180mm LED fan (going to cut of the led part) but it might take 1-2v for me to get it. If you want a review i can report back.

I know that this is an old thread, but I'm curious as to how easy cutting out the LEDs turned out to be. I'm looking at the possibility of the Phobya 180x32mm for a new TJ08-E build, but am not a fan of LED fans. (I take it that it's still the quietest 180mm around?)

Author:  RIchardF [ Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: [Quietest] 180mm Fan possible

Bump for latest info.

It seems weird indeed that there are two simultaneous premises:

1) Larger fans move more air with less noise
2) Fans larger than 120mm are noisier for the same amount of cooling

The only answer I've seen to this conflict is that manufacturers have had more time to perfect the designs. That seems like a rather weak answer, though.

The only things I can think of is that the dead spot is larger and that the greater amount of power needed to get the fan moving both equalize or outweigh the size advantage. The other possibility is that companies that make the quietest 120mm fans either aren't bothering to make 180mm models or they're larger models aren't made as well.

One would think that, by nearly 2015, someone would be able to make a large fan that kicks the pants off 120mm.

I was looking into the use of four 180mm fans are low RPMs with an external 1080mm radiator. In fact, I was considering using two radiators because one guy built a setup with two, each using nine 120mm Noctua fans running at around 350 RPM each. He said he had to use two radiators and that many fans to keep the noise down during gaming with his highly overclocked CPU and dual AMD GPU setup. My concern with that many 120mm fans, aside from high cost, is clicking.

Author:  Abula [ Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: [Quietest] 180mm Fan possible

RIchardF wrote:
One would think that, by nearly 2015, someone would be able to make a large fan that kicks the pants off 120mm.
The AP182 woudl wreck any 120mm fan on the market, 2000rpms on a 180x32mm frame will move a ton of air, but at the expense of noise, still it would kick the pants of any 120mm in the market... well idk with the supersonic deltas... but my guess is they will.

Now if you go with 180s, check phobias rads, they have some that have been used on TJ08-E builds instead of using 1080s. Now if you want to use 1080s, go with 120s. There are also 200mm fans like Phanteks, though worth mentioning that they are not a standard square frame.

Now with the clicking....can happen to any fan, i have had batches of 12 noctuas, 11 didn't click and one did, so i wouldn't worry to much, its not something that can be fully avoided or that there is a brand or a fan that is click free...

Author:  RIchardF [ Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:17 am ]
Post subject:  Re: [Quietest] 180mm Fan possible

Abula wrote:
The AP182 woudl wreck any 120mm fan on the market, 2000rpms on a 180x32mm frame will move a ton of air, but at the expense of noise, still it would kick the pants of any 120mm in the market... well idk with the supersonic deltas... but my guess is they will.

Now if you go with 180s, check phobias rads, they have some that have been used on TJ08-E builds instead of using 1080s. Now if you want to use 1080s, go with 120s. There are also 200mm fans like Phanteks, though worth mentioning that they are not a standard square frame.

Now with the clicking....can happen to any fan, i have had batches of 12 noctuas, 11 didn't click and one did, so i wouldn't worry to much, its not something that can be fully avoided or that there is a brand or a fan that is click free...

What I mean isn't maximum CFM but the CFM to noise ratio. From what I've read, 120mm fans beat even the best 140mm fans in terms of their ability to produce the same amount of cooling at low RPM quietly. That shouldn't be the case. 180mm fans and 200mms, even more so, should be able to produce more cooling for the same amount of noise. However, I can see that dead spots and motor noise can become an issue once fans get to a certain size.

The clicking concern was mainly about the sheer number of fans if one uses 120mm fans rather than 180mm fans. A very low RPMs some fans click more than they do at a slightly higher RPM. While the 180s may have to spin a bit faster to produce the same amount of cooling, the issue is whether or not their overall noise level (clicking included) will be lower than having so many 120s. Cost is also an issue, as it's much cheaper to buy eight fans than it is to buy eighteen!

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/