Looking to fit a fan controller and ~6 fans

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Brduk

Looking to fit a fan controller and ~6 fans

Post by Brduk » Fri May 18, 2012 4:26 am

Hi all,

I've noticed my rig running hot while gaming, so have decided to up the number of fans inside from one intake on the front and one on the CPU cooling block. I have bought 6 x 120mm Xilence Redwings and 1 x 92mm Artic Cooling F9. I doubt I will use them all, keeping some as spares.

I am also looking at buying an Aerocool Touch 2000 Fan Controller, however I have some questions.

1. Will running the Aerocool Touch 2000 controller completely override the BIOS and in turn off all the fan headers on my motherboard?

2. I have a Hyper212+ CPU heatsink, it's capable of holding two fans. The Aerocool Fan Controller has the CPU fan on port one, can I use a splitter cable on two CPU fans and run them to the Aerocool FC unit? If so, will I only be able to run 12v to the pair in total, meaning an max of 50% speed?

3. Similar to the CPU fan issue, I am looking to install two fans to the top of the case, as the Aerocool FC only offers control of four seperate outputs, would I be able to run a splitter from these two fans? Again, would doing so limit me to 12v between the two and thus 50% maximum speed on each?

Relevant system specs are;

Case: CoolerMaster Elite 430
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P67-UD4-B3
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k
CPU Heatsink: Hyper 212+
GPU: MSI R6870 Hawk Twin Frozr III
Memory: 2 x 4GB GSkill Ripjaws @ 1600MHz
PSU: 600W CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold

TIA

Pappnaas

Re: Looking to fit a fan controller and ~6 fans

Post by Pappnaas » Sat May 19, 2012 5:50 am

Install one or two outblowing fans in the top or back of your case. Set them to run at app. 800 rpm or close to inaudible. Free the backslot right beneath your vga card.

Watch temps. Probably no need for a fan controller.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Sat May 19, 2012 8:26 am

1. Usually the only reason there is a wire from the fan controller back to CPU fan header on the motherboard is so that bios can monitor the fan speed. That setup (fan hooked to your controller, but speed wire back to motherboard fan header) does not allow the bios to actually control the fan. The bios needs (or wants) to see the fan speed because it will usually stop the boot process (or maybe shut down a running system) if the CPU fan speed is too low (although one can usually override that feature in the bios).

2. & 3. I am not sure what kind of splitter you are talking about, but most splitters do not affect the voltage, so both fans will will receive 12V. Using a splitter should work fine, so long as the total wattage of all fans connected to the one line does not exceed the rated wattage for the fan controller (or motherboard header, etc). Should be no problem with 2 fans on one line, unless there is something very unusual about the fans (and most of us are using "relatively" low speed fans to start with).

paapaa

Post by paapaa » Sat May 19, 2012 8:35 am

Brduk wrote:I've noticed my rig running hot while gaming...
What is the max CPU and GPU temperature you measured during gaming?