Noiseblocker PK2 Mini-review

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

doveman

Noiseblocker PK2 Mini-review

Post by doveman » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:51 am

I've just fitted the PK2 to replace my faulty OCZ StealthXStream PSU fan ( viewtopic.php?f=6&t=63715 ) and whilst it seems like a nice package at first, there's a few things that let it down a bit IMHO.

Firstly, the rubber surround to go between the fan and the PSU case seems like a good idea, but whilst it has plugs to go in the fan corner screw holes, although the sides have a notch the fan doesn't have a corresponding ridge for it to be pressed on to, leaving the sides flapping around and making it that much harder to fit the fan. They've actually provided four individual rubber bungs to go in the screw holes and I've used these instead, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to try and use the full rubber surround considering it doesn't fit properly and they could have probably reduced the cost slightly by omitting this (and saved me a bit of time faffing around with it!)

It comes with two power extension leads, one short and one long (you have to use one or the other as the lead attached to the fan is very short). Unfortunately these are both three pin and my PSU connector is only a two pin, so I've had to pull the plastic surround off the PSU connector so that I can fit the lead with the spare (white) pin of the lead overhanging and not connected. Would have been nice if they'd provided a two-pin lead/adapter so that this wouldn't have been necessary. Perhaps it's marketed more as a case fan though and most (if not all) motherboard connectors are 3-pin, so I guess this is understandable.

Lastly, the PK2 comes with long bolts which go all the way through the fan screw holes, with round nuts to secure it on the other side. I'm not sure of the wisdom of having these nuts on the inside of the PSU, where they could potentially work loose over time and fall into the PSU (unlikely I know but still), shorting something. I would have thought it better just to provide slightly longer than normal screws (to accomodate the extra thickness from the rubber surround). I've just re-used the screws that were securing the old fan, so they could probably have omitted the bolts and nuts completely to reduce costs a bit, although again if the customer bought it to use as a case fan they might not have the necessary screws, so I guess I can understand them including some fixings, although I still think screws would have made more sense.

I was surprised to find the existing PSU fan is a Yate Loon D14SM-12, as I've never had a Yate Loon or Nexus go bad on me before, but I guess any brand has it's bad eggs. This is a 1400RPM, 62CFM fan compared to the PK2's 1200RPM, 54.7CFM but I think that's close enough not to worry about. The PK2 specs claim 20dB/A compared to the D14SM-12's 29dB/A though, so it should run quite a bit quieter which will be nice.

The D14SM-12 had a plastic deflector fitted on the AC input side of the fan, covering about half the fan. Obviously the PSU is designed to work like this, so it seems sensible to fit the deflector to the PK2 as well.

I'll update with my impressions of the noise level once I've worked up the courage to turn it on!

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: Noiseblocker PK2 Mini-review

Post by MikeC » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:05 am

Regarding your comments about the various custom rubber gaskets, plugs, etc and how hard they were to try to use: They were intended to mount the fan in a case, not inside a PSU. In the latter, I'm sure most of those addons are virtually impossible to use. But I'm sure they install and work fine when using the fan as an intake or exhaust in a case panel.

doveman

Post by doveman » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:21 am

I don't see how the rubber surround would fit any better in a case. It's designed with the plugs in the corner to push into the fan screw holes (as far as I can tell) and I've never seen a case fan hole with protruding straight edges on each of the sides of the hole which the grooves in the side of the rubber surround could be pushed onto, so I can't see it being intended to clip to the case rather than the fan.

As I mentioned, I can see why the customer might appreciate some screws for case mounting. Maybe they thought the bolts and nuts are easier to use than screws, in that you can push all four bolts through and then put the nuts on but to be honest, in my experience you still have to hold the fan in place as it won't stay on the bolts until you've got a couple of nuts done up, so is no easier than having to screw two opposing corners before you can let go and it's easier to deal with screws (on the outside of the case) with a screwdriver than undoing nuts (on the inside of the case and somewhat harder to get to) by hand.

Glad to report it's virtually inaudible though, even up close, which is what really matters :)

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:28 pm

The rubber gasket just takes a little stuffing around to get lined up properly. Not a problem when using it with a case fan.

doveman

Post by doveman » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:25 am

Ack, after one day the PK2's started making a ticking/chirping noise :evil: . I'll have to open up the PSU again and see if there's anything that might be catching on it but I can't think what and if there was I'd think it would stop the fan spinning anyway.