140mm PWM Cpu fan question / recommendation

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

140mm PWM Cpu fan question / recommendation

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:11 pm

Hi.

I was about to buy the Phanteks. Then I noticed it has 120mm screw holes. I can't use that.

then i was about to get the TrueQuiet. But that is voltage controlled not PWM. I always use a PWM on my cpu. The rest I use voltage with nice case fan controller.

I read the 140mm round up reviews, but they seem to be not looking at PWM as a category.

suggestions?

Abula

Re: 140mm PWM Cpu fan question / recommendation

Post by Abula » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:50 pm

What CPU cooler are do you have? most of the 140 CPU coolers use 140mm fans that have 120mm mounting holes, at least thats how noctua, thermalright and scythe does it, i believe prolimatech, phantek and cryo (but dont quote me on that).

If you are looking for 140mm PWM fans with 120mm mounting holes, the two that i would recommend are Noctua NF-P14r redux-1500 PWM and Thermalright TY-147A PWM. This should work on coolers like NH-C14, D14, D15, Thermalright Macho, HR02, HR22, SIlver Arrow (and all its variations), and many others.

If you are looking for 140mm PWM fans with 140mm mounting holes, then i would suggest Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200 PWM, the following im not recommending, but its one that i really want to try Fractal Design Venturi HP-14 PWM, specially because of its static pressure, ill be getting one once amazon gets them back on stock.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:04 am

OH. hm It is a scythe grand kama cross II

It has a circular 140mm. I see that if it has a circular one then it is 120mm fan hole placement. Interesting.

you arent a phantek 140 fan?

http://www.phanteks.com/PH-F140HP.html

I am going to be using this fan controller:

http://www.zalman.com/global/product/Pr ... hp?Idx=376

One other thing, my system is: AMD 1090T, and I will be getting a GTX 970 MSI gaming. My plan was to to have 2x 140 Antec TrueQuiet in front, 1x Antec TrueQuiet in rear. Is this enough cooling when gaming? I have a fan controller so I could start with a higher volume fan, but I want to be quiet.

The case is a full ATX corsair:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/graphite-s ... dowed-case

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:07 am

I have very limited experience with Phanteks, i only have bought one to test, Phanteks 140mm Case/Radiator Cooling Fan (PH-F140XP_BK). its a quality fan, to up to par with noctua or close, even their sleeving is almost identical, and very similar bundles, kinda seems like they are using same factories or suppliers, but the fans PWM are different, Noctua allows a much larger range of control, at least the Phantek that i tested under PWM i never was able to drop it below 600rpms, while for many this is fine and its not that noticeable, i like my idle rpms to be 450 or lower (depending on the fan), i usually also tweak the speed to have the fan curves start over what i consider normal opening/browsing load, so the fan doesn't spike to much with loads that last very little.

Personally i would recommend the TY147A, i tested for a day or so, was pretty good imo, Noctua uses the same design that so many spcr users have liked over the years, and if the PWM is similar to the NF-A14 PWM, it should also drop very low, probably below 400rpms on pwm control, i have one on my way, i really want to test a head to head TY147A vs NF-P14r PWM REDUX on an HR22, but my goal is to test DB vs Temperature, but atm i still far from finishing it, haven't decided how to measure the db without spending a fortune, my guess for us silent seekers, these two are as good as it gets.

Btw the fractal HP14 is also kinda hybrid of this 140/120 holes but also a true 140, mostly done with the corner rubber inserts, so thats another fan that i would like to test, you can see what i mean on this video Fractal Design Venturi Fans... are they worth considering?

Maybe Doyll catches this thread, he has a lot of testing done with Thermalright and other fans on many CPU coolers.
One other thing, my system is: AMD 1090T, and I will be getting a GTX 970 MSI gaming. My plan was to to have 2x 140 Antec TrueQuiet in front, 1x Antec TrueQuiet in rear. Is this enough cooling when gaming? I have a fan controller so I could start with a higher volume fan, but I want to be quiet.
Its hard to say, to me tonally Antec True Quiet 140s are great, my favorite 3pin 140mm case fan atm, specially since its so cheap. But the are no escaping that the fan is good in terms of noise, but also its cooling is limited, it doesn't push a lot of air, but at the same time i have never heard a quiet fan over 1k rpms, so to me working range of the Antec True Quiet 140s is pretty good for people like us, but to say its enough to cool your setup..... idk for real, the MSI GTX970 will be very quiet even under load, its a very efficient GPU, now the 1090T i have 0 experience into what to expect, but i would think i would run hotter than intel... but how much idk.

Personally i would recommend to try to setup all your fans dynamically to change with temps on your setup (CPU, System, Chipset etc), this way you can tweak it to each condition, not that simple, but the outcome is pretty good, a quieter setup on idle and quieter setup on load, as you are maximizing the impact the rpms have on each different scenario, kinda sounds too good to be true, but to me its fun to do it.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:19 pm

Hm. Things to think about.

Yes, optimally I want to utilize my fan bay controller. That crap is like a 60 dollar fan bay controller. Machined aluminum with huge internal heatsinks, nice wiring, A grade. I could lower RPM'S by a lot with that.

I want a fan that can hit 1000 about when I am number crunching and in summertime but can lower to silence when im sleeping next to it. I find it difficult to determine from SPCR reviews what that sweet spot is.

My needs are for heavy computing but idle of only like 110 watts about. Max load is about 300 watts I will be guessing. 1090T cranked max all cores and GTX 970. I really would love to get an AMD 390x but they ignite stuff. Seems to be the way to go for 2016 if power and volume wouldnt matter.