Antec P183v3 front fans

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

geohei

Antec P183v3 front fans

Post by geohei » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:24 am

Hi.

I just purchased the Antec P183v3 case. Since I use a lot of HDDs, I need additional cooling. Hence, I also got 2 Antec TriCool fans (120x120x25 Antec TriCool ATC-COO-TRI120DBB 20).

While installing the fans, I noticed that the the P183v3 casing came with 2 black plastic frames at the place where the 2 optional fans belong to. I could mount the fans on top, but I wonder if this is the right way to do it. I could also easily remove the 2 frames and mount the fans directly to the casing. I'd like to know what the purpose of these 2 frames are. See attached picture (disregard the screws).

Thanks,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JazzJackRabbit

Re: Antec P183v3 front fans

Post by JazzJackRabbit » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:51 pm

I don't think there is much purpose other than convenience. In order to attach fan directly to the case you'd have to take the front panel off. If you attack fan to a black plastic plate as you call it, you won't have to take the front panel off. Personally I wouldn't put any fans over there, as long as you have two exhaust fans they will create enough airflow to cool your hard drives IMO.

geohei

Re: Antec P183v3 front fans

Post by geohei » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:53 am

Whether or not it is wise/useful to use fans at that place is a different discussion.

Technically speaking (after a long sleep to think over it again), I believe now that the fans are meant to be mounted on the "fan retention frame". This fan/frame "block" then snaps in the casing. My initial approach, to screw the fans from the front panel (after opening the filter doors) through the "fan retention frames" to the fans themselves was probably wrong. The only advantage I see now is that the fan can be taken out easily from the frame and then changed outside the case.