Low RPM PWM Fan

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

clark42

Low RPM PWM Fan

Post by clark42 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:24 am

When start my pc there are a couple seconds before the bios is loaded that my 2000rpm pwm fan included with my cooler spin at max before being automatically slowed down.

Can you suggest a quiet 120mm PWM fan with a low max RPM?
Most I se are 1500 RPM max I'd like something with around 1000 RPM max.

Thanks!

clark42

Re: Low RPM PWM Fan

Post by clark42 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:51 am

I see now some come with a RPM-reducer adapter, can you suggest some of them?
They can be still controlled with motherboard PWM with a RPM reducer installed?
Thanks aagin

axee

Post by axee » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:55 pm

If you will not use it at high RPM, those numbers aren't important, but if it bothers you for that few seconds.. I was able to get my Slipstream PWM (VERY good fan!!) to about 330RPM (max 1400RPM) and Kama PWM for my PSU to 280RPM (max 1200RPM). I don't know if Kama PWM is even selling right now, but Slipstream is very well known fan among PC silencers and is probably the best fan for non restrictive positions (it won't work very well on very dense heatsinks or radiators).

edh

Post by edh » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:25 pm

Most PWM fans have massive fan ranges which I find annoying on startup too. As a solution I have one of these PWM-DC adaptors:
http://www.paqt.co.uk/store/index.php?a ... roductId=5

It allows you to power a DC fan off a PWM header complete with speed control and RPM sensing. Whats more there is a potentiometer on it to adjust the starting point of the fan. You can therefore set it to start at whatever speed you wanted or not start at all until a certain PWM duty cycle is reached. This is far more flexible than any PWM fan and you can connect whatever quiet DC fan of your choice to it. There was some increduility here when I first brought the idea up and disbelief in it working effectively and giving RPM sensing but it really is an amazing little thing and surprising that they are not more prevalent.