Fan mounting to reduce vibration

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ellis

Fan mounting to reduce vibration

Post by Ellis » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:18 am

I realised recently that one of my Gentle Typhoon case fans (the 1150rpm AP-13, I've got 2 in the case plus one on the CPU heatsink) is causing a buzzing noise by vibrating through the case. What do you guys use to stop that? There are a whole bunch of mounting grommet type things that you can buy, but I can just imagine some of them are made of hard plastic and pretty rubbish :(

Are there any ghetto homemade solutions that work just as well without requiring money? :D

Pappnaas

Re: Fan mounting to reduce vibration

Post by Pappnaas » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:08 pm

Get something like

http://skinflint.co.uk/ekl-alpenfoehn-c ... 24638.html

But i don't know of anything similar found in a normal household.

Ellis

Post by Ellis » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:15 pm

Pappnaas wrote:Get something like

http://skinflint.co.uk/ekl-alpenfoehn-c ... 24638.html

But i don't know of anything similar found in a normal household.
Hm, they look like they're made a solid plastic or something, which I can't imagine being much good. But it might just be the pictures :p

Thanks, anyway. They seem to be cheaper than the other ones I've seen and they look secure.

mkk

Post by mkk » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:09 pm

Such fasteners are usually made of soft silicone. If you can get them at a low cost it's just as well to go for those. Otherwise even a ball bearing fan should not vibrate a lot unless it's damaged, so it should be enough to use some simple fastening solution other than screwing them to the case. Anything that is less rigid and holds the fan in place securely enough, like ties, cord, strong tape or whatever you may find at home. Consider also that the fan might simply be going bad if it causes such vibrations.

Ellis

Post by Ellis » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:42 pm

mkk wrote:Such fasteners are usually made of soft silicone. If you can get them at a low cost it's just as well to go for those. Otherwise even a ball bearing fan should not vibrate a lot unless it's damaged, so it should be enough to use some simple fastening solution other than screwing them to the case. Anything that is less rigid and holds the fan in place securely enough, like ties, cord, strong tape or whatever you may find at home. Consider also that the fan might simply be going bad if it causes such vibrations.
Thanks! I will probably take a look at where I can buy a bunch of those fasteners for a reasonable price as that seems the best option (should eliminate any noticeable vibrations, and keep the fan secure). I don't think the fan is damaged - it's not a loud noise (unfortunately my PSU and hard drives drown out most of it), but I'd prefer to get rid of it :D

flemeister

Post by flemeister » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:04 pm

If you have some thick elastic cord / sewing cord / bungee cord, then you could try this: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article293-page5.html

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:51 am

Hi, I use these Acusti Fan mounts. They are the made of nicely soft silicon and should do a good job in the right situation.
Regards, Seb

Ellis

Post by Ellis » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:56 pm

flemeister wrote:If you have some thick elastic cord / sewing cord / bungee cord, then you could try this: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article293-page5.html

Unfortunately I don't have any around. Since I'd have to buy some anyway, I feel like I might as well pick up some specially designed fan mounts instead. Thanks for the suggestion though :D
SebRad wrote:Hi, I use these Acusti Fan mounts. They are the made of nicely soft silicon and should do a good job in the right situation.
Regards, Seb
They look good, I'm going to grab an 8-pack of those since I've just got the two case fans. Thanks :)