SPCR
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/

cleaning Silverstone fan filter
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=65926
Page 1 of 1

Author:  toronado455 [ Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:26 pm ]
Post subject:  cleaning Silverstone fan filter

I'm getting ready to clean the fan filter over the top of the PSU (magnetically mounted) on a Silverstone PS07. Nice thing about this filter is that it is easily removable for cleaning.

According to Silverstone Tech Talk, they say the best method is cleaning with water. I would never consider using a brush or vacuum as mentioned, but they do not mention using compressed (canned) air as an alternative.

I'll probably end up washing it with water and a drop of dishwashing liquid, but was wondering what you guys think about using compressed air instead? Not as effective?

Edit: Also this is another reason (from Silverstone page linked above) I might want to not get it wet. (Just in case it decides not to resume its original shape as promised):
Quote:
Fan filter will expand when wet
The fan filter net is made of nylon which will expand in high humidity environment or after coming into contact with water. This is a normal phenomenon that will make the filter net look uneven or wrinkled. Once you allow the nylon filter to dry completely, it will contract and resume its flat, even appearance.

If anyone has cleaned one of these Silverstone nylon filters with water (or other method) I'd be interested in knowing your results. Thanks.

Author:  edh [ Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: cleaning Silverstone fan filter

Water would be most effective. I've cleaned a lot of filters on equipment in dirty environments before and water is always the best.

Author:  Cod [ Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: cleaning Silverstone fan filter

Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVac 500-Watt 0.75-HP Electric Duster 120-Volt (http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED50 ... ric+Duster)

All you need for your dusting needs! I bought one last year and use it for cleaning all my electronics. Very powerful, clean, and never runs out of air (unlike compressed air).

FYI, if you decide to get one, get the exact model I linked. There is another one on Amazon for $7 more that shows more accessories; however, the one I linked also includes all the extras...they just aren't pictured.

Author:  toronado455 [ Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: cleaning Silverstone fan filter

I just finally got around to cleaning my Silverstone fan filters yesterday. Went very well. I just used running water and a bit of Dawn liquid. Very easy. Drying time was pretty quick too, and no deformation of the screen material at all. I was going to blow the excess dust off first with a canned air duster, but decided not to - unnecessary.
Cod wrote:
Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVac
Do these really work well? I like the idea of not using canned air because the can gets very cold as you use it, and you need to always hold it upright, and they run out of pressure quickly. Lots of drawbacks to canned air, but can this vac really have enough power? Is it blowing or sucking? (no pun!)

Author:  Cod [ Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: cleaning Silverstone fan filter

toronado455 wrote:
I just finally got around to cleaning my Silverstone fan filters yesterday. Went very well. I just used running water and a bit of Dawn liquid. Very easy. Drying time was pretty quick too, and no deformation of the screen material at all. I was going to blow the excess dust off first with a canned air duster, but decided not to - unnecessary.
Cod wrote:
Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVac
Do these really work well? I like the idea of not using canned air because the can gets very cold as you use it, and you need to always hold it upright, and they run out of pressure quickly. Lots of drawbacks to canned air, but can this vac really have enough power? Is it blowing or sucking? (no pun!)

Its a blower and yes, it has a lot of power. Has almost a full horse power of power and puts out about 70 CFM. The hose ends aren't very large, which means there is a lot of pressure behind the air. It has about 10x-15x the power of compressed air (if I had to guess). I use it for dusting everything electronic and never had any issues. The tank gets warm after using for a few minutes, but that's expected since it functions like a blow dryer. Hair dryer is probably a good comparable.

Author:  toronado455 [ Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: cleaning Silverstone fan filter

Cod wrote:
Its a blower and yes, it has a lot of power. Has almost a full horse power of power and puts out about 70 CFM. The hose ends aren't very large, which means there is a lot of pressure behind the air. It has about 10x-15x the power of compressed air (if I had to guess). I use it for dusting everything electronic and never had any issues. The tank gets warm after using for a few minutes, but that's expected since it functions like a blow dryer. Hair dryer is probably a good comparable.
Interesting. Is there any electrostatic build up from the vac which could discharge?

Author:  Cod [ Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:32 am ]
Post subject:  Re: cleaning Silverstone fan filter

toronado455 wrote:
Cod wrote:
Its a blower and yes, it has a lot of power. Has almost a full horse power of power and puts out about 70 CFM. The hose ends aren't very large, which means there is a lot of pressure behind the air. It has about 10x-15x the power of compressed air (if I had to guess). I use it for dusting everything electronic and never had any issues. The tank gets warm after using for a few minutes, but that's expected since it functions like a blow dryer. Hair dryer is probably a good comparable.
Interesting. Is there any electrostatic build up from the vac which could discharge?

As far as I know, there is no electrostatic build up; however, I'm unsure. I've only owned mine for about nine months. Check out this review on Amazon for a detailed look at the system: http://www.amazon.com/review/RONM23SIOZ ... 3&store=hi. Still going strong after two years! And, as the reviewer mentioned as I didn't, you can hold the blower at any angle w/o issues.

Also, I found the official product page: http://www.metrovacworld.com/DataVac%20 ... c%20Duster

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/