Is there a listing of manufacturers' fluid bearing fan?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Happy Hopping

Is there a listing of manufacturers' fluid bearing fan?

Post by Happy Hopping » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:46 am

I just want the most quiet fan, (120 mm, 140 mm, 200 mm, 230 mm), assuming that would be fluid bearing technology, so I just need a table, or some sort of listing that list out all the fluid bearing fan o f the above size

Spoon Boy

Re: Is there a listing of manufacturers' fluid bearing fan?

Post by Spoon Boy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:29 am

Not sure you will find a list as there is diffrent names for esentialy the same products.
Hydro Wave by Panaflo, Hypro by Adda, Sintec by EBM/Papst and Fluid Dynamic by Sony.

edh

Post by edh » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:05 am

I doubt any information would really be that useful without knowing some more details. Some fans make more noise at one RPM than another and any noise is only to be judged by the person listening.

What do you need these fans for?

Happy Hopping

Post by Happy Hopping » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:37 am

I need about 6 fans of various size to add to the NZXT Phantom 820

I need a backup alternative in case their add-on fan is not quiet. Rather, I need to judge if their fan is not quiet, there is another brand I can choose to add on the Phantom case

edh

Post by edh » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:17 am

How long is a piece of string? These questions are all subjective.

Why are you going for the NZXT in the first place? If you do need a computer of that size for the components that you plan to put in it then it is not going to be quiet simply given the heat of those components. What do you plan on putting in it?

Happy Hopping

Post by Happy Hopping » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:07 am

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z9PED8_WS/#CPUS

The above w/ 2 x 80W to 95W Xeon, although in 2 yr., when the price down, I can see myself using some 150W xeon x 2.

16 GB of RAM,

3 x SSD

2 to 3 more hard drive

2 Nvidia video card, 1 of them is GT440, the other 1, should be GT 610

1 sound card

have not spec. out the wattage of power supply and what brand name of silent power supply. Possibly Antec or Enermax

edh

Post by edh » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:59 am

So what are you using this system for? It just seems to be a bit of a strange configuration. Lots of CPU, not so much RAM (in comparison), lots of storage, 2 very bad deprecated graphics cards and a sound card in a massive case that is perhaps not best for quiet computing.
Happy Hopping wrote:http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z9PED8_WS/#CPUS

The above w/ 2 x 80W to 95W Xeon,
The motherboard would make sense if this level of CPU performance is required.
Happy Hopping wrote:although in 2 yr., when the price down, I can see myself using some 150W xeon x 2.
The price won't come down on high end server hardware much. It'll be replaced by a newer generation of hardware which matches the performance, uses less power and costs less. This will then require you to get a new motherboard probably. This just doesn't seem like a workable upgrade path as obsolete hardware is normally not good value.
Happy Hopping wrote:16 GB of RAM
Not a huge amount of RAM when compared with the CPUs you'll be using. What sort of applications are you running which require so much CPU power but not so much RAM?
Happy Hopping wrote:2 Nvidia video card, 1 of them is GT440, the other 1, should be GT 610
Why do you need these 2 graphics cards? The GT610 is little better than onboard graphics on many motherboards (even if this motherboard doesn't have them, the comparison is worthwhile) and the GT440 is now out of date enough that you are unlikely to get good value from it. Why are the two cards different? Do you need to connect to multiple monitors? If 4 monitors is a requriement, a single mid range GTX6xx series card that supports 4 monitors would make more sense.
Happy Hopping wrote:have not spec. out the wattage of power supply and what brand name of silent power supply. Possibly Antec or Enermax
With the configuration you have specced you might have 350W max. Add in 2 by then obsolete 150W CPUs 2 years later (which you won't) and it might be 500W.

Clearing 350W from a system can be done easily with 4x140mm fans at 800rpm. That will be quiet. Each processor would need a high end tower cooler with a similar 140mm fan (or pair of fans) attached. For 150W CPUs, you won't get anything like as quiet operation.

Case wise I would junk the idea of the NZXT. The Fractal Design Define XL R2 would be better and the included fans would be ideal.

Happy Hopping

Post by Happy Hopping » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:56 am

I use software like wordperfect, firefox, excel, and Nero 10 for blu-ray backup, plus a few other utility software. Nero 10 use a lot of CPU power on blu-ray burning. I might play PC games in xmas, although I haven't play any PC games for quite a few yr.

I only use 32 bit Win 7 Pro, so I only need 4 GB, the remaining 12 GB is for a RAM drive.

I am using my GT 440 and my Nvidia 7950GT (heat sink, no fan), and by next week, I'll upgrading to the GT 610 from Zotac, as it has no fan, and 2 x Dual link DVI, just like my GT 440. I have 3 monitor, 2 x 30" dual link at 2560 x 1600, and 60" Sharp. Currently, if I watch HD video like the olympic on my 60", the video is running slow, as my GT 440 is 1 GB of RAM, but my 7950GT is 512 MB of RAM, so I bet some share RAM is used by 1 or 2 of these video card, as such, slow down my PC

Eventually, I'll get rid of the GT 440 as well, and get some other PCI E 3.0 card that has a heatsink only. Currently, there is none exist.

I look into Fractal design already, I don't like the case at all, ugly looking

A few yr. ago, I was using a HP XW9300 at 2 x AMD single core 2.4GHz. Then I manage to find some1 at ebay selling 2 x AMD dual core 2.9GHz for only $50. I use it for 1.5 yr. before I switch over to my current machine, so that $100 is $ well spent. I can easily see these 3.1GHz 8 core Xeon dropped to $50 for me to pick 2 up in 2 years.

edh

Post by edh » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:11 am

Happy Hopping wrote:I use software like wordperfect, firefox, excel, and Nero 10 for blu-ray backup, plus a few other utility software. Nero 10 use a lot of CPU power on blu-ray burning.
Nero is the only big CPU user there. When you say you are using Nero 10 for Blu-Ray backup are you ripping it and then reencoding it or are you just doing a bitwise copy? If it is a bitwise copy then CPU power is not so important. If you are transcoding then Nero is multithreaded but whether it'll use all of those cores I don't know.
Happy Hopping wrote:I only use 32 bit Win 7 Pro, so I only need 4 GB, the remaining 12 GB is for a RAM drive.
Why are you only using a 32-bit OS? You are potentially throwing away quite a chunk of performance in doing so. x86-64 vs x86 is about more than just RAM and there is an unfortunately amount of misinformation.
Happy Hopping wrote:I am using my GT 440 and my Nvidia 7950GT (heat sink, no fan), and by next week, I'll upgrading to the GT 610 from Zotac, as it has no fan, and 2 x Dual link DVI, just like my GT 440.
The GT610 is not so much of an upgrade over the 7950GT I'm afraid. It might be many years newer but actually has a third of the memory bandwidth and similar reductions in fillrate. I really can't see it helping performance.
Happy Hopping wrote:as my GT 440 is 1 GB of RAM, but my 7950GT is 512 MB of RAM, so I bet some share RAM is used by 1 or 2 of these video card, as such, slow down my PC
No. Quantity of video memory really isn't so relevant in this. Higher amounts of video RAM on high end cards are for textures in games. Higher amounts of memory on cheap crap cards are purely marketing exercises. Most likely this will be down to some other software problem. I can't help you on this as I don't use Windows.
Happy Hopping wrote:get some other PCI E 3.0 card that has a heatsink only. Currently, there is none exist.
The fact the graphics card is passive is unlikely to be relevant if you're going for high end server CPUs which will not be able to be cooled quietly. If you do want a passive graphics card then a Geforce GTX650 fitted with an Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Plus would be very suitable.
Happy Hopping wrote:I look into Fractal design already, I don't like the case at all, ugly looking
Looks are always subjective. I personally think the NZXT looks hideous and Fractal Design has a lot of fans for it's looks but each to their own.
Happy Hopping wrote:A few yr. ago, I was using a HP XW9300 at 2 x AMD single core 2.4GHz. Then I manage to find some1 at ebay selling 2 x AMD dual core 2.9GHz for only $50. I use it for 1.5 yr. before I switch over to my current machine, so that $100 is $ well spent. I can easily see these 3.1GHz 8 core Xeon dropped to $50 for me to pick 2 up in 2 years.
There's a difference. You're talking about high end server CPUs here. Good luck finding someone selling off some old high end server CPUs on their own.

Happy Hopping

Post by Happy Hopping » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:48 am

I just use Nero 10 to backup my data to 50GB media. Using XW9300, 2 x single core AMD opetron 2.4GHz, it run at 5 miles / hr., I can't get anything done for 4 hr. on that blu-ray burning. Upgraded that same machine to 2 x dual core AMD Operton 2.9GHZ is better, still jerky, but I manage to get my work done during disk verify of 1.5 hr. In the past 2+ yr., I move to 2 x 6 core Xeon 2.8GHz, and the above Nero problem disappear

I have some old software, I don't believe win 7 64 bits running all 32 bit software, I don't think I'll run some games w/o crashing. After all, it's only speed that I gain w/ win 7 64 bits, so to fix it, I just get a faster CPU

I just check the GT610, you're right. In fact, when I upgrade from my 1st XFX 7950GT to GT 440, I can't tell the difference on speed. Only 1 software shows some difference. The other reason that I don't use GTX is the electricity it sucks up, I'm an environmentalist, if I don't need to use those electricity, I'll save it.

What I don't know is, if I use a GTX 650 like you suggest, and compare it to my GT 440:

1) does it use more electricity at idle?

2) comparing the same operation, does it uses more electricity?

in the end, w/ the 2D software like Excel or wordperfect that I use, what could I possibly gain by upgrading to GTX 650?

anyhoo, I found this 1 GT 640 that is passive cooling as well. In fact, I also found Asus has a passive cooling:

http://www.zotacusa.com/geforce-gt-640- ... 4-20l.html

Asus GeForce GT 640 Silent Video Card - 2GB GDDR3, PCI-Express 3.0 (x16)

http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/GT640DCSL2GD3/

========

I've done some digging on using high end Xeon, it should be quiet from the people I talk to if you use the Noctua cooling block on both xeon, the Noctua is like 12 db or 16 db

1 reason I pick NZXT is the high no. of cooling fans on all direction, in different size, very impressive to me

I'll look into your Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Plus on GTX