It is currently Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Replacement fan for an Asus EB-1501?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:31 am 

When I got the the EB I knew I paid a little extra for the slot loading DVD drive and integrated IR-receiver, but it was a trade-off I was willing to make, and so far it has been quite an ideal HTPC. But it's quite old by now, and I know I should keep my surroundings a bit more dust-free - alas, I'm somewhat lazy. I've been trying to clean the fan with a combination of "can-air" and a vacuum, but it doesn't seem to do the trick. When the fan finally settles down it is somewhat quiet, but still far from what it used to be - but should I turn it off, it can take some 15-30mins for the fan to settle after turning it on again, and it sounds really, really annoying.

So, any ideas/recommendations where to look for a new one? Overseas shipping is fine as long as it's available online. I know I could just get a new HTPC, but really I don't feel a need to - ION plays 1080p very happily via VDPAU, and XBMC + Torrentflux is handled just fine with Atom.

Post subject: Re: Replacement fan for an Asus EB-1501?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:37 pm 

Hi, not sure if this is still pending for you, but I have the B202, which apparently has the same fan as the EB1501. mine got worn out after about 3 years 24/7 operation. First I took it apart and added a drop of engine oil to the bearing. This helped but didn't last long. I ended up buying a new fan (the exact same model) off E-bay, from China, and replaced it earlier this year.
The only problem was, the fan was packed in a soft material and an envelope, and the thin metal cover of the fan got a bit warped during shipping, so it touched the fan rotor (there's only about 0,1mm clearance between the two!). I had to swap this metal plate with the original fan's plate. All is well.