Noiseblocker Multiframe - drone normal?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Mag

Noiseblocker Multiframe - drone normal?

Post by Mag » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:27 am

Hi

I’m new to the forums and this is my first post. I watercool my cpu and gpu so have a fairly quiet computer. Recently I got the “silence bug” and found this site. My radiator is external and I’m down to a single top exhaust fan to provide some airflow across the motherboard in my Silverstone Fortress FT02 case.

The stock 120mm Silverstone case fan is a 1200rpm model which is very quiet (it has dimpled blades and looks very like a Sharkoon Silent Eagle). Since this is the only case fan I want a replacement quiet fan with better airflow which can be mounted horizontally. SPCR recommends the Noiseblocker Multiframes. I bought a 120mm M12-2 with a top speed of 1250rpm. However I’ve tested it prior to installing it in my case and it has quite a pronounced drone which I think is motor noise and only disappears if I undervolt substantially.

I have Noiseblocker Blacksilent Pro PK2’s on my radiator and they have none of this drone despite having the same bearings and motor, although they are the larger 140mm size.

Does anyone have any experience of this fan and this drone? I suspect it is a faulty unit but thought I’d check before returning it

Thanks in advance

Mag