Asus GPU Tweak

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Abula

Asus GPU Tweak

Post by Abula » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:15 pm

Not sure if this is the correct section or Video cards, but i need some clarification from people that have experience with ROG DCUII cards, specially with fan control on the ASUS GPU TWEAK utility.

Until now i believed ASUS GPU TWEAK was a RivaTunner derived utility like is MSI afterburner or EVGA Precision,

ASUS GeForce GTX 670 DirectCU II
The GTX 670 DirectCU II ships with ASUS' GPU Tweak utility which offers a wide variety of fan, clock, and voltage adjustments as well as monitoring functionality. It bares more than a passive resemblance to MSI's popular Afterburner application, albeit skinned with ASUS' attractive red and black Republic of Gamers motif.
ASUS GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II OC
The GTX 680 DirectCU II OC ships with ASUS' GPU Tweak utility which offers fan and frequency adjustments as well as monitoring functionality. It looks suspiciously like MSI's popular Afterburner application, though skinned with ASUS' red and black Republic of Gamers scheme.
While reseraching what new card to buy, i was almost sure it was going to be a DCUII with all the good reviews on the past from SPCR, but watching a video where asus was promoting their products, there was a question toward Asus representative that stated that ASUS GPU TWEAK was created by asus and not a rivatunner derived utility. There is also the GPU Overclocking Apps Review with Interview of RivaTuner Creator
Alexey confirmed my suspicions about ASUS GPU Tweak; the software is not based on RivaTuner and is developed by ASUS from the ground up.
On MSI Afterburner i always have had the restriction from where the vBios can let me go down, atm with Galaxy GTX580 its 30%, but i know some that have modified the vBios to get lower, still not that interested on flashing my videocard so im kinda intereseted on something alternative. I have seen restriction on motherboards bios in case fans that cant go below 60%, but with FanXpert2 it can.... so maybe Asus GPU tweak might be similar. While checking a lot of screenshot of GPU Tweak i saw their fan graph,

From the picture it can start at 10%? Just wondering maybe some owners of directCUII GPUs that have some experience on the Asus GPU tweak, if it can allow dropping the fans that low, i dont care if its only for asus gpu, ill buy one if this utiluty will allow me to drop GPU fans lower than what the vbios has as minium.

Spoon Boy

Re: Asus GPU Tweak

Post by Spoon Boy » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:30 am

From my understanding and from what i researched on my 670 the %30 is not to do with the software but is a limit set in the VBIOS.
Unless you are willing to mod your VBIOS no matter how low you set a utility it will never drop the fan speed below %30

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:54 am

Spoon Boy wrote:From my understanding and from what i researched on my 670 the %30 is not to do with the software but is a limit set in the VBIOS.
Unless you are willing to mod your VBIOS no matter how low you set a utility it will never drop the fan speed below %30
I understand what you are saying, and this has been the case with all my gpus over time. But lets take another of their software, like fanXpert, in my case im not able to drop my fans (case fan mobo headers) below 60% because the bios restriction (olnly fan i can drop on bios below 60% is CPU), but with fanXpert i can, so kinda overwrites the bios restriction, so just wondering if what they did with fanxpert is implemented on their GPU tweak and asus gpus, i personally doubt it... but i just would love to get some owners if they could drop their rpm of their fans below what the vbios restricts.

jerdenberg

Post by jerdenberg » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:13 am

I encountered this thread when searching for info about GPUTweak after installing an ASUS Radeon 7950 DirectCUII TOP today, where the GPU fan is clearly audible, even at the 10% shown in the picture above. The fact is that the 10% is "Duty", not a percentage of maximum fan speed, and the fan is at 1140rpm, which is ~30% of the maximum appearing in the GPUTweak monitor. With Speedfan, lowering the % for the GPU fan to zero is reflected in the "Duty" going to zero in the GPUtweak monitor, but not in the fan speed, which remains at 1140rpm.

Spoon Boy

Post by Spoon Boy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:20 am

Sorry call me confused :)
If i understand correctly, are you saying GPUTweak's 0%-100% actually maps the minimum to the maximum allowed by the VBIOS ?
So 0% in GPUTweak actually means 30% or what ever the minimum fan speed is set to in the VBIOS.

On a side note, apparently EVGA PrecisionX (NVidia) or MSI Afterburner (AMD) are among the better utility's.

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:13 am

The latest release of Asus GPU Tweak is version 2.4.3.1 which can be downloaded from the Utilities section of the Asus GPU Tweak support page.

Asus GPU Tweak will work with any make of graphics card - I have tried it on a non-Asus card and it works fine.

The latest version does not have the flaw of the earlier versions such as 2.2.0.1 where in a User Defined profile a fan duty cycle % could apparently be set that was lower than the minimum set in the BIOS (and doing so had no effect). On 2.4.3.1 for example with my card (where the BIOS has been edited to set minimum duty cycle to 20%) there is a solid line at 20% and it cannot be set lower. This brings Asus GPU Tweak into line with other similar utilities such as MSI Afterburner and EVGA Precision X.