It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Over pressure vs under pressure and it's impact on dust
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:19 pm 

Currently configuring my fans and and a few thoughts on what seems logical to me.

We all want to minimize dust aculmination in are cases right? Would it not be better to have more intake pressure then exhaust pressure? With too much air leaving the case and not being replaced it will drag air in threw any place it can ( unfiltered places). If we can localize incoming air only to one spot ( front of case,filtered area) would this not be superior for dust reduction? This principle would ofcourse mean that you would want less exhaust volume then intake volume thus achieving the over pressure scenario. Has anyone here also thought this? Any experience with it?

Post subject: Re: Over pressure vs under pressure and it's impact on dust
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:29 pm 

Do a search with the term "positive pressure". :)

1080p Gaming build: i5-4670K, Mugen 4, MSI Z87-G45, MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming, 8GB 1866 RAM, Samsung Evo 250GB, Crucial MX100 256GB, WD Red 2TB, Samsung DVD burner, Fractal Define R4, Antec True Quiet 140 (2 front + rear) case fans, Seasonic X-560. 35-40W idle, 45-55W video streaming, 170-200W WoW, 200-230W Rift, 318W stress test (Prime95 + Furmark)

Support SPCR through these links: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:25 pm 

Yes, and I would like to add the idea of avoiding excessive airflow as well. If the system can control the fans in an advanced manner then one can let the case fans go as low as possible while temperatures inside are low. In some situations it's even possible to turn some fans off, though it's not a commonly available feature.

Many cases also have some redundant, unfiltered openings in them that can also be blocked off.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:19 am 

Hospitals and other places where you need clean air use positive pressure. If it works for them it must be OK for computers too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:45 am 

Positive air pressure works, absolutely no question. As long as the input fans have filters in front of them, that's the only place where dust will accumulate, and as long as you keep them clean, you will enjoy many years of virtually* dust-free computing.

I say virtually, because no matter how good they may be, the filters always let through a small amount of dust. But comparing a positive-pressure PC with a non-positive-pressure one, the difference in amount of dust accumulated internally is massive.