Updated recommended fans list?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

gb115b
*Lifetime Patron*

Updated recommended fans list?

Post by gb115b » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:42 am

is it out of date? seems there were a lot of reviewed fans in 2013 that aren't in there?

i was hoping to get a 'definitive' recommendation for a 14cm PWM fan (but the reviews lead me to think they're all a bit sub-par?)

Abula

Re: Updated recommended fans list?

Post by Abula » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:02 pm

gb115b wrote:is it out of date? seems there were a lot of reviewed fans in 2013 that aren't in there?

i was hoping to get a 'definitive' recommendation for a 14cm PWM fan (but the reviews lead me to think they're all a bit sub-par?)

Well two 140mm roundups were done last year, and in the HR02 Macho you can also find the TY141 info.

Unless you are set on PWM fans, you should consider all, PWM is not better or worst, simple another way to control the fans. I built my desktop with full PWM fans, and i like it, its mostly 4x Noctua NF-A14 PWM for case fans and TY150. Overall im pleased with the outcome of the setup, but i recently tested a Antec True Quiet 140, and i found their tone much better under the same rpms than my fans. Both can be dropped extremely low if you chose carefully the motherboard,

I also tested a Phantek 140, cant be drop as low as the above, but its not a bad fan, depends a lot into what you want it for,

I also tested the Prolimatech Vortex slim 140, i like it a lot, specially for something like Genesis or MK26 would be my choice of fans.

There is a fan that i really want to test.... maybe in the next month or two ill grab one, Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPro PK-PS 140mm x 25mm Ultra Quiet PWM Fan - 400-1500 RPM - 29 dBA. I own a PK1 and two PK3 and all been great tonally, but the problem with Noiseblockers PWM is that their lowest rpms is set to 0% PWM, and not all motherboards allow to reach this low, so in most cases you are limited by what the motherboard can allow, making this fans not able to spin as low as the one posted above.

Try to first decide what fans you need, centering only on PWM fans will limit a lot whats available in the market atm, fans like Antec True Quiet 140, even though they are not PWM, imo they are really good fans, specially for the price.

gb115b
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Updated recommended fans list?

Post by gb115b » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:57 am

wow, thanks! very thorough.

problem is it's for a new build, so i haven't got hold of my motherboard (p9d-i) to see what fan control options are available.

maybe one i get it i'll play around first before picking my fans (and suffer through the built in lian li one's on my q18b in the meantime)