It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Disparity between comparison scores (120mm)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:58 pm
Posts: 37
Not sure if this has been explained already, but I have noticed that some of the fan results in the latest review (Sharkoon/Silverstone fans) are different to the results posted in previous reviews. For instance, the bequiet! Silent Wings 2 fan records 34 C @ 11 dB in this review (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1342-page9.html) yet it is 27 C in the Sharkoon review. What's the deal with this?

Also, when did you review the Scythe Slip Stream 120-M? I can only find some really old reviews with the previous testing system.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Disparity between comparison scores (120mm)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Posts: 3021
Location: ITALY
Koldun wrote:
Also, when did you review the Scythe Slip Stream 120-M? I can only find some really old reviews with the previous testing system.

Sometimes they "silently" (pun not intended) re-test some samples, and then publish the relevant data off of any official review: IIRC, in the past that has already happened with several CPU heatsinks, and with some PSUs too.

I can't help with the BeQuiet fan data (but I guess that a better "Subject" could help thread visibility).

_________________
Regards,
Luca


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Disparity between comparison scores (120mm)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:05 am 
Offline
SPCR Reviewer

Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:07 pm
Posts: 1028
Location: Vancouver
Koldun wrote:
Not sure if this has been explained already, but I have noticed that some of the fan results in the latest review (Sharkoon/Silverstone fans) are different to the results posted in previous reviews. For instance, the bequiet! Silent Wings 2 fan records 34 C @ 11 dB in this review (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1342-page9.html) yet it is 27 C in the Sharkoon review. What's the deal with this?


I spotted some mistakes on the older charts that I forgot to fix (I'll get to it soon). As for the Silent Wings 2, it did 27C at 11~12 dBA and this time, instead of rounding it up to 12 dBA, we expanded it to cover both the 11 and 12 dBA boxes and dropped the 34C/11 dBA result from the chart altogether. That was a judgement call.

Quote:
Also, when did you review the Scythe Slip Stream 120-M? I can only find some really old reviews with the previous testing system.


The Slip Stream 120-M was tested using our new test methodology but never officially reviewed. It's one of our favorites but not worth much discussion as it's an old fan that has been discontinued.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Disparity between comparison scores (120mm)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:58 pm
Posts: 37
And I can see why it was; it's the best-scoring 120mm fan at the 11dB range. Thanks guys.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Disparity between comparison scores (120mm)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Posts: 3021
Location: ITALY
Koldun wrote:
And I can see why it was; it's the best-scoring 120mm fan at the 11dB range. Thanks guys.

At least in Europe you can still buy the Slipstreams, even if the relevant stocks are shrinking more and more each passing day.

_________________
Regards,
Luca


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group