It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Scythe Glidestream PWM fans? - Please Delete
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:09 pm 

I've made extensive use of the Scythe Slipstream 120mm PWM fans, as they're absolutely excellent, cheap, and used to be readily available from NCIX.

NCIX no longer stocks them, but instead stock a "Glidestream" PWM fan, found here:
http://www.ncix.com/detail/scythe-glide ... 7-1009.htm

Does anyone have any experience with these, and in particular how they compare to the old Slipstream fans?

Edit: I'm an idiot who needs to learn how to Google. Moderators, please remove this post.

Post subject: Re: Scythe Glidestream PWM fans? - Please Delete
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:47 pm 

Given that you probably found that Glidstream are the refresh of the Slipstreams, there are some small changes like the blades have some denting, weather its the same sonically idk, havent tested, but SPCR did reviewed them inside the Mugen4 and Kotetsu coolers.

One thing to note that as with Slipstreams PWM, the Glidestream comes in two versions, used to be LM (low mid) and H (high), the more widely avaiable is the H, that its 1900rpms, not sure if both drop to the same levels, or which is better. Seems backwards from the Mugen 3 days, where they used to use the higher rpm pwm version on heatsinks, now they use the LM on heatsinks, and the more widely available is the H version, and according to scythe web the H is being discontinued.... but i dont see LM version in retail yet. Either way i think im confusing you instead of helping, but since you liked slipstreams pwm... maybe worth crosschecking that they are similar to what you liked in the past.

GameMi >> MSI Z87-GD65 | Intel Core i7-4790K | Thermalright Silver Arrow IBE + 3x Noctua NF-A15 PWM @500rpms| Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR3 1600 | nVidia GTX780 + ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme IV | Samsung SA850 27'' 2560x1440 | Samsung 840pro 512GB | Hitachi 7K1000 1TB | Fractal Design Define R4 + 4x Noctua NF-A14 PWM @450rpm | SeaSonic SS-860XP2
Other builds ---> ServeMi | CamMi | MiniMi | HTPCMi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:49 pm 

SPCR reviewed the newer variants here and found them lacking:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Scythe_Fans_2013

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:32 am 

Subjectively speaking, I prefer the old Slipstream.
IME the former is more flexible, goes much lower (<200rpm vs >600rpm), and tonally I find it a bit more agreable.
I also think the Glidestream are somehow a simplification of the elder design, because I can pay it noticeably less (>6 euros vs >10 euros).
Said that, currently I think the GS is a fairly decent fan but definitely not an improvement over the SS.