Noctua Redux 140mm.. still ok for a case fan?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Copyright

Noctua Redux 140mm.. still ok for a case fan?

Post by Copyright » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:21 am

I was reading the Noctua 140mm Redux is a static pressure fan but how well will it work for a case fan? I have always been a fan of Noctua and now with the Redux color I am in love with the look. Will it work for me though as two intake on an R5 and one exhaust?

lodestar

Re: Noctua Redux 140mm.. still ok for a case fan?

Post by lodestar » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:29 am

I use the Noctua 140mm Redux 1200 PWM as an exhaust fan and it works perfectly OK, as should the higher speed 1500 model. Yes it does look better in a black case. The advantage of either is that you can get very low idle speeds when the system is idling/under low system stress using FanXpert 2 or later (down to 250 rpm for the 1200 and about 350 for the 1500 in normal ambient temperatures). But you still have the higher speed ranges if needed - particularly if overclocking the CPU and/or graphics card. As regards the R5 the way I would set it up would be to uncover the top rear exhaust and use one Redux there, use one Redux for the back rear exhaust and fit another in the centre bottom (case floor) position. The rear top exhaust position is significantly further back on the R5 than it was on the R4. It overlaps with the back rear exhaust fan but that fan has a slotted fitting which allows for this. This would leave the two fans supplied with the R5 which could be fitted as the front intakes. Using FanXpert these two fans could be Fan Stopped until the CPU hits say 60C to help minimize fan noise in non-gaming conditions.