Need some help new fans for new build.

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

karkee

Need some help new fans for new build.

Post by karkee » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:14 am

Hey,

Currently building this new PC, I5 4690 , 16GB Ram, MSI GTX970 , Superflower 550w golden king, Asus Hero VII and noctua U12S cooler.

Using the fractal, I basicly searching for really good fans and leaning towards noctua but not sure what setup to use so I dont really hear my system much in idle/windows I dont mind some ramping up in games.

I want to go for 1 exhaust and 1 intake (so the GFX card gets some love to:) ) , for the CPU I am sure I want a PWM but what to get for silent case fans? And should I also take PWMs?

I am not really in the scene anymore so I don't know what fans to take at all! And for the exhaust and intake should I get 120mm or 140mm?

Open for any suggestions... I was thinking of getting 2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM & keep the NF-F12 PWM (but I really dont like the hard woosh it makes). It seems to run at around 500RPM in idle here.

CA_Steve

Re: Need some help new fans for new build.

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:37 am

karkee wrote:Using the fractal,
Which Fractal?

karkee

Post by karkee » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:58 am

Oh sorry I bought the R5 :)

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:59 am

Use the two stock case fans. They are improved over the R4's. If, after trying, you don't like the acoustic signature, we can suggest alternatives.

karkee

Post by karkee » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:37 pm

Hey, I should have told I tried the default stock case fans and did not like at all (using them currently). I Always used scythe in the past or noctua. Sometimes I liked the soft woosh from scythe more as I think that the noctua have a more "dull acoustic"

What I am also unsure of is if I should use something like 2 500RPM fans for intake and exhaust or also PWM ones.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:02 pm

Ah.

I used Antec Truequiet 140's in my R4 gaming build. Two in front, one in back. They worked well.

There's no reason to put high rpm fans in there. Your heat load is fairly mild.

Quinnbeast

Post by Quinnbeast » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:07 pm

If you can fit 140mm fans without any issues (i.e. you can), then always use 140mm fans. If you're planning on using software such as Fan Xpert and have sufficient 4-pin fan headers for both the CPU and case, then by all means go for PWM fans.

If you prefer to have three fans (e.g. two front / one rear) attached to the fan controller (or an alternative) at the front of the case, then get standard 3-pin fans. I use a mix of both.

karkee

Post by karkee » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:42 pm

Okay thanks guys for the input.

I decided I will do this:

Going to stick to the CPU fan that comes with the Noctua U12S .

Going to order 2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM (one for exhaust and one for intake blowing onto the GPU). I don't want to use 2x intake as I think its overkill (only have SSD anyway, no data disk its going onto the NAS).

One thing I dislike on the noctua's and I don't know if many others do this but its the full ramp up when turning on the PC (I know :D dont laugh), but the scythes I Always used previously don't do this but they are very poorly for intake and exhaust these days ( the scythe 120MM PWM fan, probably still comes with scythe mugen).

Quinnbeast

Post by Quinnbeast » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:44 pm

As I understand it, fans themselves don't dictate their starting RPM. It's more likely that you have PWM fans that run at 12v / full speed (or at a default speed set on your motherboard) until the OS loads, at which point the fan control is taken over by software and throttles down to your chosen settings. This is typical of PWM fans on startup. If your Scythe fans were attached to a physical controller then they will spin based on how much voltage is applied via the three pin connector.

karkee

Post by karkee » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:06 am

Ok so I tried 2 noctua nf-A14 fans, don't like it all. At like 500RPM they make this sort of humming noise dont know especially in the rear.

I got a noctua nf-f12 on my cpu cooler that comes standard with the noctua u12s, I kinda like that one its really nice.

But I really dont know anymore what to take for my exhaust and intake , should I try the antec truequiet 140? Seems people say those are good and put them at like 500RPM?

In previous builds ive Always used the scythe 500RPM ones they served me so well I like them so much but they are 120MM. And I also Always kinda used the PWM version (the one that comes with the mugen). That one runs at like 350RPM in idle also in PWM mode.

So my other option is like to use the 500RPM scythe ones, one in the front and one in the back. And keep my Noctua PWM one or even change it also to the scythe one. But like I said they are 120mm and I guess will move alot less than the 140MM. Wonder how much it would make a difference actually.

Abula

Post by Abula » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:22 pm

should I try the antec truequiet 140? Seems people say those are good and put them at like 500RPM?
ANTEC True Quiet 140, are worth a shot... thats if you didnt like the Fractal Fans, which are suppose to be pretty decent. Antecs can drop to 200rpms on fanXpert2 and ramp to 800rpms or around there, and you can set it them up with FanXpert2 to define your custom curve to apeal to your liking on noise and cooling.

One thing that you should take into account that while they are really good fans in tems of noise, they are not the best in performance, Antec Two Cool 140 and Phanteks 140 are better in that department, but again it matters more what you prefer, and Antec True Quiet 140s are really a cheap fan, half of noctuas.

karkee

Post by karkee » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:26 am

Ok I orderd and got them, I will do some tests ton8 with both the noctua's again and the Antec.

I have a noctua u12s and I5 4690, any advice on what temps I should be aiming for while I try to tune down my fans? For now it gets to like 60° and stays there steady with fans around 500/600RPM on load.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:37 am

karkee wrote:what temps I should be aiming for while I try to tune down my fans? For now it gets to like 60° and stays there steady with fans around 500/600RPM on load.
no real reason to keep it lower than 60 imo. -as long as all the other components aren't cooking. (VRM/chipset/drives ect)

karkee

Post by karkee » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:46 am

Ok thank you for the info.

Previously ive Always builded my new machines with the Fractal Mini, and to be hounest I kinda regret this time not doing it I think.

So this is another question, with the load I have and the components inside it feels like the R5 is a little to "big". So on load it is more like a vacuum cleaner if I can express it like that :D compare to the Mini ? Or am I wrong here?

Thats why to me it feels like a mATX board and the mini would have been a better pick for silence in my situation, or atleast it would even be less noisy on load. I could be wrong though

karkee

Post by karkee » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:51 pm

Anyway I did some playing around with the Antec true quiet 140. They are golden to me! Tomorrow gonna get another one for intake.

Going to do the following to my R5 :

One intake Antec TRUE Quiet 140 and one in the rear. The noctua's I tested are god damn bad I dont like the hum they make especially once above 500RPM.. and above 600RPM/700RPM you can easy hear them at 1meter from the case.

So going to use the antecs, for now I have them on 500RPM with the switch thing and set to DCmode in Asus BIOS and than set to silent (they are running 350/400RPM in idle) , when I prime95 test with blend they go up till like close to 500RPM. Seems perfect! I don't really like to use software to control fans, I think its a nasty way actually and should not be needed in these days...

This is a small 10min prime test with blend just to see the temps, I will leave it on for a night to but wont make much difference temps dont go up much. As you can see its MORE than enough to have like 300/500RPM exhaust fans like the Antecs (love them! so silent). And than a decent CPU fan (really would like to swap the scythe though if someone can suggest any).

Now what I am not happy with is also the Noctua fan that comes with the u12s, its the same humming almost once it ramps up to 600/700. Can anyone recommend any good PWM I can test? For now I have the Scythe PWM that I had from an old mugen (actually is a really nice fan starts at 300RPM or lower , in idle it sits at like 350RPM or so but it makes a clicking noise really bad).

Going to post some pics of the rig tomorrow when I get second antec fan, if anyone has suggestions, shoot! :)

Abula

Post by Abula » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:35 pm

karkee wrote:Now what I am not happy with is also the Noctua fan that comes with the u12s, its the same humming almost once it ramps up to 600/700. Can anyone recommend any good PWM I can test? For now I have the Scythe PWM that I had from an old mugen (actually is a really nice fan starts at 300RPM or lower , in idle it sits at like 350RPM or so but it makes a clicking noise really bad).
If you like Scythe, you should check Scythe SY1225HB12M-P GlideStream 120mm PWM Case Fan 1300 RPM, probably the same fan that comes on the Kotetsu, that spcr highly regards. Another fan worth checking, even though you ddint liked the nocuta, is their old NF-P12, which is still a very nice fan, Noctua (NF-P12 PWM) - 120mm Two Speed Premium Fan, 1300/900 RPM, SSO2 Bearing with NE-FD1 PWM IC, its different blades design over your NF-F12.

Now there is another option, specially since you own an Asus motherboard, go into the bios, then to fan control, change the Q-FAN from AUTO to ADVANCED, this will change the CPU_FAN header from PWM to Voltage controlled, this will allow you to control 3pin fans, where you will have a lot more options to chose from, if you decide to go this route, my suggestion is to try Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm Case Fan- 1150RPM, 16dba, 37.1cfm, there are other versions with more or less rpms, its up to you, but i find the 1150 to undervolt well and still have a good range of operation in case you need the cooling. Here is a graph of it being controlled on Asus motherboard on a CHA_FAN (voltage controlled).

karkee

Post by karkee » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:10 am

The scythe looks indeed nice, will order that one. Should have tomorrow, today going to add second antec 140mm aswell.
Thanks for help, going to post some pictures later on... <3

karkee

Post by karkee » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:17 pm

Abula, a question I now have tested the antec true quiets 140MM and I really do like them up to 500RPM. Anything more in my R5 at night is actually quiet hearable but I dont need more cooling than that so its no problem.

I was just wondering if you have compared them to the Ultra Sleek vortex 140MM ? Since I see you have 3 in your system at the moment?

Basicly what I want to achieve is a 450/500RPM 140MM fan for intake and exhaust while keeping the most performance I can (not anything higher I would even set that at that speed to not ramp up), in that aspect I have looked up also the Prolimatech Sleek Vortex 140MM, Noctua redux 140MM and the phanteks. For no with the Antec 140MM true quiet, my system full load prime only never exceed 60° , with prime+furmark below 70°.

Now out of those 4 , 140MM ones for what I am trying to do. Noise/Performance whise what would my best pick be?

For my noctua CPU cooler I would use a scythe PWM , or the noctua I was quite happy about to.

Thanks for all the info so far.. :)

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:29 pm

karkee wrote:I was just wondering if you have compared them to the Ultra Sleek vortex 140MM ? Since I see you have 3 in your system at the moment?
I never compare them side by side, Antec True Quiet 140s is more a case fan imo, while the Ultra sleek Vortex to me its more a Heatsink fan. But i do like more the sonic signature of the Antecs over the Prolimatech.
karkee wrote:Basicly what I want to achieve is a 450/500RPM 140MM fan for intake and exhaust while keeping the most performance I can (not anything higher I would even set that at that speed to not ramp up), in that aspect I have looked up also the Prolimatech Sleek Vortex 140MM, Noctua redux 140MM and the phanteks. For no with the Antec 140MM true quiet, my system full load prime only never exceed 60° , with prime+furmark below 70°.
Those temps look fine to me, specially if you cant hear you system, i would probably keep it as it is.
karkee wrote:Now out of those 4 , 140MM ones for what I am trying to do. Noise/Performance whise what would my best pick be?
If you read the SPCR reviews of the 140s, you will find that the Antec Two Cool and Phantek 140 are better in terms of performance, but at the same time, the quietest was the Antec True Quiet 140, so its up to you into how much cooling you need and how much noise you are willing to tolerate. Personally i think Antec True Quiet 140 are very good fans for someone that wants to make their setups inaudible, the range of operation is pretty good imo, 200-800rpm, in my experience i have never found a 120/140mm fan that above 1k rpms is totally inaudible, so i think the True quiets its a good chioce.

But at the same time this is more a hobby to me, so what i would do is buy one of each and test it, and see what works better for you.

karkee

Post by karkee » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:31 pm

I got some redux PWM fans also, after te AF140 I was kinda scared to test these but damn.

So far I tested the antec quiet 140mm and the noctua redux 140MM 1200RPM pwm , and I must say I havent heard any bettr fan than this. I have set them up from 300 to around 500rpm curve just for a fast test, and out of all fans I have heard these just have such a pleasent "woosh" sound.

Gonna do some more testing tomorrow and than I hope to finish my build, I know im picky but its quite fun :)

karkee

Post by karkee » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:35 am

Here is the build, I still have to play some with the fan graphs to ramp up but going to do that later tonight... also will put some more on what I used and why and temps etc on general gallery.

Thanks for the help atleast! Sadly noctua has no fan that I want in black :( cuz I changed it with the old nf p12 model
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

whispercat

Post by whispercat » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:49 am

karkee, just curious, what fan did you finally decide on for your intake on your R5?