Best 140mm quiet fans x4

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

trzasku

Best 140mm quiet fans x4

Post by trzasku » Thu May 05, 2016 3:30 pm

I am building a near silent PC running an Dark Rock Pro 3 cooler. I want to fill the 3 front and the rear slot of my Define S case with some good quiet fans to achieve some strong positive pressure to avoid dust. I want to run all those fans at about 30% to keep the PC as silent as possible. I am not looking for the most quiet fans out there (it is easy to have a silent fan that does not move air), but for those which noise/performance ratio is the best.

At the moment I have the two GP-14 fans that came with the case, they are pretty quiet at 33%. My question is: 
• Will there be a audible difference if I change this two GP-14 for something high-end or should I just buy 2 more of them to fit the design (I do not like to have different fans on the front) ?

I think the best noise/performance 140mm fans are (price in my country):
Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 $11
Fractal Design Dynamic GP-14 $16
Be Quiet! Silent Wings 2 $23
Noctua NF-A14 $24
But I am not sure which of them should I choose. I do not want to overpay for something that is only a slightly better than my GP-14 case fans. What would you buy in my situation?

I was looking for some up to date fan comparison but almost every chart is different. Can you recommend me a good chart with the most popular quiet fans?

Abula

Re: Best 140mm quiet fans x4

Post by Abula » Thu May 05, 2016 8:20 pm

Welcome to SPCR trzasku,

I'm going to recommend you spend some time reading the following SPCR reviews,

First 140 mm Fan Roundup: Noctua, Phanteks, Xigmatek]First 140 mm Fan Roundup: Noctua, Phanteks, Xigmatek
Second 140 mm Fan Roundup: Antec, bequiet!, Corsair, Scythe

From the first roundup you can drag the Phanteks PH-F140HP/TS and from the second you can drag the Antec TwoCool 140, both are good fans that can cool decently and are not that loud. That said, i still prefer quieter fans like Antec True Quiet 140 or Noctua NF-P14s 900rpm REDUX, but they might not move enough air for your desired cooling, so i would probably give a try to the two above.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Thu May 05, 2016 8:43 pm

trzasku wrote:I want to run all those fans at about 30%

30% of what? Different fans = different speeds = different noise level = different cooling prowess.

trzasku wrote:• Will there be a audible difference if I change this two GP-14 for something high-end or should I just buy 2 more of them to fit the design (I do not like to have different fans on the front) ?

Supposing you were running those stock fans at around 500rpm (I dunno), very unlikely an high end fan may outperform your GP-14 at that speed, cooling-wise (at least, the way you're looking for).

Said that, please take note that bottom intake/top exhaust are also stressful mounting points for a sleeve bearing fan like the GP-14 (they will shorten the fan lifetime: by how much, who knows, YMMV), and often filling them is not that important.

trzasku wrote:What would you buy in my situation?

If I were you, probably just one GP-14.

trzasku wrote:I was looking for some up to date fan comparison but almost every chart is different. Can you recommend me a good chart with the most popular quiet fans?

No, sorry, I can't: moreover, if you find something interesting, please take care to share.

Fire-Flare

Post by Fire-Flare » Fri May 06, 2016 2:03 pm

I don't know what your GP-14s sound like, but I'm very pleased with the four Noctua NF-A14 PWMs in my system: I only hear them during the spin-up when I turn my system on and when I push the limits in games.

They have a comparatively low starting voltage as well, which makes them excellent candidates for semi-passive cooling.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 » Fri May 06, 2016 3:50 pm

trzasku wrote:I am building a near silent PC running an Dark Rock Pro 3 cooler. I want to fill the 3 front and the rear slot of my Define S case with some good quiet fans to achieve some strong positive pressure to avoid dust. I want to run all those fans at about 30% to keep the PC as silent as possible. I am not looking for the most quiet fans out there (it is easy to have a silent fan that does not move air), but for those which noise/performance ratio is the best.

At the moment I have the two GP-14 fans that came with the case, they are pretty quiet at 33%. My question is: 
• Will there be a audible difference if I change this two GP-14 for something high-end or should I just buy 2 more of them to fit the design (I do not like to have different fans on the front) ?

I think the best noise/performance 140mm fans are (price in my country):
Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 $11
Fractal Design Dynamic GP-14 $16
Be Quiet! Silent Wings 2 $23
Noctua NF-A14 $24
But I am not sure which of them should I choose. I do not want to overpay for something that is only a slightly better than my GP-14 case fans. What would you buy in my situation?

I was looking for some up to date fan comparison but almost every chart is different. Can you recommend me a good chart with the most popular quiet fans?
I will freely admit that I am biased in favour of Noctua fans. I have been using them basically since they came out on the market.

The NF-A14 is the only PWM fan in the list.

Noctua fans have a very deserved reputation for durability and reliability. They start off quiet and stay that way for years. Noctua gives a six year warranty on the fans.

trzasku

Post by trzasku » Fri May 06, 2016 4:00 pm

Thank you all and especially in Luca for the great answers! I have 3 front fan slots so I can buy 2 more without having to mount them on the bottom or top :)